Model 12 Serial Number

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
MIWildcat

Model 12 Serial Number

Post by MIWildcat »

Hello everyone. I've inherited a Model 12 and I'm trying to figure out the date of manufacture. The serial on it is RW 5092.

Overall, gun is in good condition but like many of these things, it appears to be missing a front sight (I have a Lyman's replacement on order). I'm really excited to shoot this thing once I get my replacement sight in, I hear these are great fun.

Any help on the serial would be appreciated. Thanks!

MIWildcat
John Gyde

Re: Model 12 Serial Number

Post by John Gyde »

The RW stands for Remington Works, the internal name for the factory.. It isn't part of the serial #. But...You have a first year, 1909 production M/12. There were 14,286 made in 1909. It should have a steel inner mag tube, but many were replaced with brass by subsequent owners. There are a few other features on the early M/12s that were phased out over the years. There are twenty three pages on the M/12 in our book...
MIWildcat

Post by MIWildcat »

John,

Thank you for the help. The rifle is all original without the upgrades you mentioned. It has the crescent shaped stock, but round barrel, which I originally thought was odd. Overall, decent shape, but it was missing the front sight. I did pick up a front sight from Lyman and I plan on taking this out to the range today to give it a try.

Unfortunately, I personally doubt this thing is worth a lot of money given the condition. I heard they are a lot of fun to shoot. Thanks again!
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

I suggest that you use only standard velocity ammo in all M/12s.

The configuration of yours is unusual. When you take it down, check the serial number on the inside of the receiver and see if it's the same as the one on the receiver. You may have a 12-A receiver and barrel, and a 12-C stock. Or, maybe not... With Rems, you just never know.

The steel inner mag tube wasn't an upgrade. It was the standard in 1909. As I mentioned, many were replaced with brass after the steel tubes rusted.
ronsorem

Post by ronsorem »

John,
you are truly a wealth of knowledge on the Model 12. I've just spent a hour or so searching through your replies to inquiries and haven't been able to get to my manufacture date.
From what I can find I have a 12a round barrel. s/n 169210 on the receiver only "22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle" on barrel.
I found the code chart for later models, but I haven't found the earlier info. You seem to be the source.
Any help for date would be appreciated,
thanks
--Ron
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Early 1913, John won't plug his book but I will, It's excellent.
ronsorem

Post by ronsorem »

"admin",
Thanks for the info, and given your hint I searched for the book.
I think an earlier post sums it up and worth repeating for those of us new to the forum -- here is a proper "plug", and thanks again!

In their book, "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles", John Gyde and Roy Marcot publish a chart that cross references serial number to approximate production date. They also explain that while this information is compiled from historical records at the Remington factory, there are a number of extenuating circumstances in Remingtons "system" that prevent a totally accurate date assignment. If you don't already have a copy of this book, I recommend that you add it to your library
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

According to Rem records your M/12 was made in early 1913.

As to the book. Thanks for the kind words. The Standard Edition is sold out and will not be reprinted. Some dealers have a few left that they previously purchased. The price from them seems to be around $100 (cover price was $90). I have 100 of the DeLuxe editions left @ the original price of $165 + $7 shipping.
neller

Post by neller »

I know this is an old post but...

Let me know my model 12 is a first run year at serial 2111, thank you. Sadly the inside of the barrel looks like a smooth bore now.

and

Thought I would do a quick online search for the Remington Rimfire book and found two copies. One at $984 and one at $1100. That is better than the stock market folks. Must be one hell of a book.

Pat
neller

Post by neller »

I know this is an old post but...

Let me know my model 12 is a first run year at serial 2111, thank you. Sadly the inside of the barrel looks like a smooth bore now.

and

Thought I would do a quick online search for the Remington Rimfire book and found two copies. One at $984 and one at $1100. That is better than the stock market folks. Must be one hell of a book.

Pat
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Rem made 14,266 Model 12s in it's first year. It sounds like yours has had a fair amount of use. My usual warning... Do not shoot modern hi-vel ammo in Model 12s. The M/121 replaced the M/12 and was made much stronger to handle the newer ammo.
Yes, the book is long sold out.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I fight with myself when it comes to making comments to a post I didn't initiate but John made a statement "I'll give me usual warning about not
firing high velocity ammunition in a Model 12" that I wish to comment on.

When it comes to Remington rifles most of my expertise involves the
Model 14/141 and for years I have been telling owners of these that you
have to think in terms of 1912 technology. My favorite comparison is make note that when the Model 12 and 14 were introduced the Titanic was still afloat. The metal used on the barrels of these old rifles was the best available at the time but not anything compared to what we have today or as John observed, not the quality of the later versions, those being the Model 121 & 141.

Using high velocity in any older rimfire rifles simply lacks judgement!

If you are truly ignorant and wish to ignore that advice let us talk accuracy, high velocity sucks when it comes to overall accuracy. My background was smallbore rifle position competition shooting, no high velocity stuff there unless you were a total dummy wanting to prove how badly you could lose.

Some years back a gun writer friend of mine wanted to do some group
tests on various brands/types of .22 Cal. Long Rifle ammunition using
my Anschutz 1413 Super Match 54 rifle made in 1970. Standard velocity and match grade ammunition performed as you might expect blowing the ten ring out of the targets..............some of course were better than others like Eley Red box or Western Super Match.

Then came the tests with the high velocity stuff, the accuracy was
horrific when compared to standard/match velocity ammunition and
I mean horrific. Less than 40% made the 10-Ring ring on a conventional
small bore 50' target (imagine what they would be like at 50 yards). What was even more impressive were the amount of flyers (shots well out of the normal grouping, one box of Super-X had four rounds out of a box of 50 that were almost out of the scoring area on the target or about 1.5" from
the center.

So think about it, you get far less barrel wear, and far better accuracy by
using standard velocity ammunition in your Model 12. Silly me, I always thought the point of shooting was to hit your target, and whether your .22 rimfire rifle was made in 1915 or 2015 standard velocity will give you a better chance of doing that.

Enuf!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I have a Remington model 12 serial number 2063 with a 24 inch octagon barrel made by numrich and has a 12 3/4 magazine tube I measurement is from the both of the lock cap has a straight stock. not much information out there trying to find out what I have