Remington Hepburn caliber?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
relic54

Remington Hepburn caliber?

Post by relic54 »

I'm new to this forum and need help gathering information on a Remington Hepburn rifle.
This rifle has a full length military type stock with 2 barrel bands. The stock doesn't have a pistol grip or any checkering. The upper band has a sling swivel. Both bands are the 'clamp' style, there are no retaining pins or springs. The rear sling swivel is on the butt stock. The rifle has a cleaning rod simular to the 1885 Remington Lee. The barrel is round and 34" long. The front sight is fixed and the rear sight is a military type with a spirt level. The tang appears to be factory drilled and pluged for a tang sight. There is no indication that one was ever installed.
Now my delima. I'm unsure of this rifle's caliber.
I've done a chamber cast still cannot make a caliber determination, this is what I have:
The rifling is six rather narrow lands with 6 rather wide groves.
2.6" is tha cartridge case length.
.4505 is the approximate bore dimension.
.4565 is the approximate grove.
.4750 is the approximate outside dimension of hte case's mouth.
.510 is the approximate case diameter in front of the rim.
.625 is the approximate rim diameter.
.070 is the approximate rim thickness.
I thought that this rifle was chambered in the ".44-100 Remington Creedmoor"
The 3rd addition of the Ammo Emcyclopedia list that cartridge's dimensions as:
2.6 long, .568 rim diameter, .075 rim thickness, .503 case diameter in front of the rim & .485 outside neck / case mouth dimension. This chambering was to have fired a .442 paper-patched 520 or 550 grain bullet. If the .442 bullet was patched to bore dimension the assembled cartridge would not chamber in this firearm.
Any help is greatly appriciated.