Hello from Wisconsin

Sign the guestbook
BGRooster1

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by BGRooster1 »

Hello fellow Remington fans,glad to be here.
I was on-line searching for information on the New Model Police 5-shot revolver. Stumbled upon this forum and am hoping to learn about Remington revolvers especially .
First question and why I was searching on the web, has to do with an unusual finish on a New Model Police I looked at at a gunshow. Sort of a copper color . My thought is maybe a nickle plated frame that lost it's nickle ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Better to ask forgiveness.Than beg permission.
DavidFagan

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by DavidFagan »

I think it's only Gold that takes multiple finishes, this is just a bad refinish, if the edges of the barrel are not sharp it's a huge red flag.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
BGRooster1

Post by BGRooster1 »

Please explain why it would be a red flag. I am new to originals and determining value. As far as I know, no one has made a reproduction of this model. I am familiar with the other size frames of Remington revolvers.
Thanks for your thoughts on the finish. I am sure you are correct and is what I was thinking.Could it be like an old Winchester 1894? They had a few years that the finish would look something like this after time.
It is otherwise in good condition, not excellent just good . The guy is taking offers and would like to get something in the three hundred dollar range.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Where the flat edges meet is just that, Remington never buffed or smoothed them, if they are not sharp the barrel has been buffed you have to buff a barrel to refinish it. Now they certainly wear but that doesn't leave the finish intact ;)
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
BGRooster1

Post by BGRooster1 »

OK.Now I understand what you mean to look for.The finish is to nice,as in smoothly applied, to not be a refinish.
Are you saying it has no real collector value? If not, considering no one makes a reproduction of this model .It ,if a shooter,is probably worth the three hundred only because collectable specimens go for over a grand. What do you think?
Again I am new to this sort of thing.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

I would say zero collector value, others my disagree.
For a shooter, I don't know, if you had to have this same model but other reproductions can be had for much less.
Your much better of to have ONE very fine (best you can afford) original example then own 20 brown or refinished guns (if your a collector).
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Good Afternoon, this is George McAllister. David is right on the money. We do a lot of refinishing work and the color you're seeing is a dead give away, it's a refinished gun. The color will vary from gun to gun, maker to maker. These colors are often referred to as being "Dr. Pepper". Yor're right about some of the 94 Wnchesters turning that color when they are refinished. You'll also see it on some old shotguns, and other revolvers. It all has to do with the metal used to build the gun. David's advice is correct when he says to buy the best you can afford. There's certainly nothing wrong with buying a low end gun and working your way up as your '"gun money" will allow, but ALWAYS try your best to by a gun that's as original as possible, no matter what the condition is.
BGRooster1

Post by BGRooster1 »

I wouldn't mind getting this one as a shooter.It would,if it is the least bit accurate ,be a nice trail gun/tackle box gun.

Not a collector piece for certain, but a using piece.
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Be VERY cautious. This is a antique, black powder, percussion revolver and it is not designed to withstand the preassures created by modern loads and ammunition. The structural integrity of the metal may have been compromised somewhere along the line and that may not be readily apparent to the naked eye. Please do your homework before attempting to fire this old girl.
BGRooster1

Post by BGRooster1 »

gmaque,Yes, you are right in sending out a caution on this piece.I would only shoot real black powder through it after I have a competent gunsmith or two check it for me. When it comes to something like this my opinion is not enough for me to be satisfied.
I have looked it over twice now and it does appear to be mechanically sound.The guy has so far answered questions with answers that match what I see.I have tried to catch him telling me BS about this type of firearm.He has not said anything that has thrown a red flag.
If I get it, should I have it magnafluxed?
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Well, I guess that's up to you and your pocketbook. If it were me and I was thinking of buying, I'd ask the seller if he will take the gun back and refund my money if it failed the magnaflux or gunsmith inspection.
BGRooster1

Post by BGRooster1 »

I agree with you on the guarantee and in writing.