Where can I find the value of a mirror?

Wanted to Buy - Other Remington Collectables
Cano Collector

Where can I find the value of a mirror?

Post by Cano Collector »

I have a Remington firearms mirror that belonged to my grandfather and I am looking for a value on it.

Jim
DavidFagan

Re: Where can I find the value of a mirror?

Post by DavidFagan »

Cano Collector wrote:I have a Remington firearms mirror that belonged to my grandfather and I am looking for a value on it.

Jim
A picture would be interesting. I'm sure Jay or Roy would remember, when Jay and Roy sold their collections, it was at two auction houses the second auction house I had never heard of before. At that time there was a Remington Mirror listed (in the one I don't remember), if someone can remember that second smaller auction house and the date that might be a good place to start looking for a fair value if prices realized are posted. I'm assuming however there wasn't but one Remington mirror model made???

If you send a picture of the mail to the admin (me) I'll post it. I don't think I kept a picture of the one at auction (maybe) would take some digging.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Cano Collector

Post by Cano Collector »

I will see if I can get a good one by my camera phone. I will take that one and if nobody can tell then I will try to get a better digital one in a few days. Gimme a few to upload it and I will see if I can get it uploaded

It has a gold foil type details under the mirror parts. I know it is at least 30 years old, my age, and then some because my grandfather died before I was born.
Last edited by Cano Collector on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cano Collector

Post by Cano Collector »

Sorry for the crappy photo, but here is the one from the camera phone

Cano Collector

Post by Cano Collector »

Is this photo good enough for you to tell what it is or a possible value of it? I want to add it to my insurance and I have no idea.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Cano Collector wrote:Is this photo good enough for you to tell what it is or a possible value of it? I want to add it to my insurance and I have no idea.
I'm sure it's good enough for someone to identify it and value it? But unfortunately not me, this is nothing like the one I saw. It was all engraved with Remington in the frame of the wood and the mirror was just a mirror ;)
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Cano Collector

Post by Cano Collector »

Thanks Dave. Nobody has seen it before when I have asked. I was hoping someone here will know.

I have had it about 25 years and my grandfather died before I was born (1977)
Cano Collector

Post by Cano Collector »

BTW- I asked my Mom when my grandfather died and she said it was in 1975 so it is older than that.
Jack Bares

Post by Jack Bares »

Your mirror was made in the early 1970's - most likely by "Pacific Glass & Mirror" in California.
Other glass items in similar style were, a thermometer, a clock and 2 styles of mirrors. They were first sold by the Lynchberg Mercantile of that city. They promoted a line of Remington branded goods, watches, buckles, canoe, tees, caps etc. The mercantile went out of business in the early 1990's and the Lew Horton Dist. Co. of Mass. did some closeout buy promotions with some of the glass items. Jack Bares
Jack Bares

Post by Jack Bares »

Lordy, Lordy - I forgot your quest for a value. It all depends - in a normal auction it should go for $50-$75 - but if you get two hungry neophites, with deep pockets - it could well top $100. They sold for $39 or so in 1975. I sold dozens of the Horton closeouts at that price range.
Jack Bares