model 660 .222

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
stockranger

model 660 .222

Post by stockranger »

I have rem model 660 in .222 in fantastic condition . I googled but didn't find much on it cuz it seems to have been made for only 4 years . Only 50,000 made . i've shot it a few times just plinking when i was a kid . I'm not quite sure how the internal magazine works does anyone know ? I read one post that there was once a recall on the safety ? is it accurate and reliable ? its in too nice of condition to hunt with it but i would maybe use it now and then for coyote, jacks, and other varmint .

whats is it worth ?
remington600

Re: model 660 .222

Post by remington600 »

The 660 in the 222 is a good one to have. They were manufactured beginning June of 1968 and discontinued in 1971. There was 5862 model 660 222s made.The 222 caliber is known to be one of the most accurate rounds ever made. The value of the gun is hard to give because it relies on condition, and some people think there gun is better than it really is. If i was to run across a 660 in the 222 and it was in 95% or better(100% would be new and unfired) I would expect to pay about $600 to $700 dallors. You have a great gun and keep it in great shape and it will only go up in value. Billy Smith
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

What do you need to know about the magazine? Cartridges are fed in the top and have to be run at least part way through the action to empty. Part way means ejecting the round from the chamber, pushing the next cartridge just far enuff to disengage it from the magazine TOWARD the chamber, and then raising the muzzle up so the cartridge can fall back against the bolt and be lifted from the loading port. This is easier done than said and keeps the round from maybe falling to the ground. Did it all deer season with my 600 in 35 Rem.

Yes there was a recall on the safety. If your trigger has a "V" stamped on it near the top, is was modified. If not, not all is lost. It seems human intervention with these (and every other firearm ever made) has caused misfires. The trick is to follow the 1st rule of gun handling; always control your muzzle. What would happen is that the trigger would get pulled on while the safety is engaged and then the rifle MIGHT fire when the safety is moved to "fire". If your rifle is clean, keep it that way. Do not allow oil to accumulate in the trigger mechanism. Make sure the safety is not binding anywhere with the stock and make sure it is in good working order and not loose at the rivets that hold it. The recall replaces the trigger and chops (hacks) wood from around the area of the safety, sometimes ruining the rifles good looks. Above all, DON"T pull the trigger except when on target. Try it by dry firing. You won't hurt it. If it tends to fire when it shouldn't, have it looked at by a competent gunsmith. He will have suggestions besides the hacking recall.

Unless its new with he box, shoot it. Enjoy what you've got. Great gun, great cartridge.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Here's a good story all about my 660, and the work I did on it. And that Remington butchered the stock putting in a new trigger.
http://24.172.105.90/z/660/
Ted

Post by Ted »

I’d be very unhappy with that stock.

The corrosion is the result of hunting in rain or snow and not taking the gun apart to dry at the end of the day. Don’t ask me how I know this.