712 project

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
ReQoning

712 project

Post by ReQoning »

Hello,

i recently came to own a 721 in 30-06, all original and in rather good shape, not sure how old it is exactly, but it came with the bolt lock safety which was still functioning, open sights, few dings in the stock but thats about it, shoots like a dream. i mainly own rim fire rifles, ruger and savage, hunting small game and target shooting, but out in the bush i often run across deer i would like to take, so i decided i would start working on my old 721

i own many guns and none of them are original any longer, i do my own wood/stock work and smithing on my guns, so without anything further, my question/s are this, what parts can i use from m700s on a 721

i would like to have a shorter target barrel, chamber doesnt matter much but i would prefer 30-06 or 308, ill be using a scope but i wont be taking any shots over 150 yards. i want a synthetic stock but im not sure if i can use a 700 stock, can i modify it to fit?

my main issue with the rifle is the trigger and bolt lock, i know i can send it off but i would rather do it myself, i think i know how to fix it but im not sure, upon a closer look i see that on the safety there is an arm that comes up into the bolt, locking it down...i dont see any harm in grinding that down so it no longer locks it down, is this how the issue is fixed?

as for the trigger, it functions perfectly but i want something alittle lighter and more crisp, is it possible to use any aftermarket trigger setups from a 700 on a 721?

thanks in advance -ReQ
ReQoning

Post by ReQoning »

so, no one knows anything about part swaping with a 721 and 700? i know people use 700 stocks on 721's with some modification, but what exactly has to be changed, and can it be done with a synthetic stock given the proper tools?

and what about the rest of the action.. bolt, tigger and barrel ?

im sure someone out there has to know these things, i dont want to start buying stuff that may not work
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

You have a couple of problems with your question. First you have posted your question on the pistol section of the forum. The second problem is that this is not a general gunsmithing or shooting forum. I hope some of the 721 guys will see your post but you might want to repost using the rifle forum and use the correct model number. Good luck.
ReQoning

Post by ReQoning »

aahh i see, i wasnt aware this was a pistol forum as i see other posts about rifles here, i also didnt notice i mistyped the forum topic :oops:

is there a more appropriate forum/section i could ask in?
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Go to the top of this page and click on home. This will take you to the RSA home page. While there read about the RSA. Then click on the heading message board. You should now be on the main index of the forum. You topic would fall under rifle post 1898. After you read about the RSA, you should understand that the RSA is not part of Remington Arms and it's main purpose is to further the collection and research of Remington firearms. Your question doesn't fall under that category; however some of the 721 guys might have some answers.