1872 10ga SXS questions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
mulletgutter

1872 10ga SXS questions

Post by mulletgutter »

need some Info on a friends 10ga that has been in his family for 60+ years I've read most of the posts that I think relate to this but I have a few questions. I think it's a lifter model 1872. Whitmore patten dates are Aug 8 1871 & Apr 16 1872 Barrel is 28" blued steel with E. Remington & Sons Ilion, NY on the rib The S/N 1691 is on the action flat ,under side of bbl and under the fore-grip.there are no other marks that I can see. It has a English Walnut stock with a steel but plate This SXS is in excellent condition with just a few light handling marks. Bores shine.

I would like to know the grade and any other Info . Thanks The crappy pics are from my cell
Researcher

Re: 1872 10ga SXS questions

Post by Researcher »

The gun is what is known as a Whitmore Hammer Lifter Model 1873, and appears to be a Grade 3. The Grade 3 came with Damascus barrels, so they very likely have been blued over. Even the blued "Decarbonized Steel" barrels which came on the basic Grade 1, are not to be confused with modern steel barrels.
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

The barrels on your Grade 3 should be Damascus as Reseacher states. You might look careful on the inside barrel flat that it has the same number, 1691. Also look for a "pattern" underside were the forend contacts the barrels. Some wear might show the Damascus.
mulletgutter

Post by mulletgutter »

Thanks for the replys. I though I could tell a Damascus barrel from a steel, but I took it to 2 dealers to make sure. Both said that it was a steel barrel, one called it "fluid steel". All the numbers match, maybe it was a special order.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

It's not " fluid steel " - and if one of your gunsmiths told you that he's wrong. They were " decarbonized steel " barrels if not damascus. A good bluing job could cover up the damascus. The only way to tell is take off some bluing on the underside where the forearm goes and etch it with some acid like ferric chloride from Radio Shack. If the barrels match the rest of the gun, I'd have trouble believing they aren't damascus. Paul
Last edited by paul harm on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Hi. From the pictures I would say the stock has been refinish and the checkering recut it looks to good for hundred plus old gun.And the barrels should be Damascus.