Another Mystery Remington (according to serial number)

BountyHunter2

Another Mystery Remington (according to serial number)

Post by BountyHunter2 »

I have browsed trying to pin down all info I can gather on this old girl, ......... I have found several references to "The Sportsman" ... and the 3 critters rolled stamped .... and 3 shot max load ... but I still haven't found anything definite on the "4 digit" serial numbered 3 shot "The Sportsman" It has the Poly-Choke, which may have been added, and it is a 20 Gauge ..... any sources or links to find the history on my treasure.... would be appreciated.

If I have my info correct, this is what I came up with ................ SPORTSMAN MODEL SEMI-AUTO – MFG DATE – July 1946 SERIAL NUMBER S1948 ---- - 12, 16, or 20 ga., 26 (3 shot only) in. barrel, skeet choke, beavertail fore-end. Mfg. 1931-49. ---- This model was manufactured in Field, Riot, and Skeet configurations.

I also found this link with some info:

http://www.pmulcahy.com/semiauto_shotgu ... otguns.htm

This is a small sample of info cut and pasted taken from this link:

Like most FN/Browning production, Auto-5 manufacture of the Auto-5 basically stopped after the Nazis invaded Belgium, and after World War 2 (until about 1952), FN was primarily committed to re-arming the Belgian armed forces and those of some other European companies. In 1946, FN contracted Auto-5 production out to Remington in the US, and these shotguns, often referred to as the "American Browning Auto-5" was produced until 1952. These versions were actually an amalgamation of the Model 11 and the Auto-5 (both have similar mechanisms and exterior designs, a legacy of an early John Browning/Remington collaboration), and they look a bit different then the standard Auto-5. (The engraving of deluxe models is also quite a bit different; most collectors say the American Browning is not as attractive gun as the FN product.) They still had the same basic features as the Auto-5, but a 20-gauge model was also introduced at this time.

In 1952, FN took over production of the Auto-5 again, and production of the Auto-5 continued in Belgium until 1976. (These are often known as "Mid-Production" Auto-5s.) The 20-gauge chambering was deleted from the standard model (for a short time, but later added again), but other versions were in 20 gauge. The standard model used barrels of 26-32 inches, with a barrel topped by either a ventilated sighting rib and bead sights, a solid rib with bead sights, or a plain barrel with bead sights. Except on deluxe models, the finish was blued, with a walnut stock checkered in the right places and having a semi-pistol grip wrist. After 1967, this was changed to a standard pistol grip wrist, and the fore-end was given a flattened bottom. The barrels of this period have fixed chokes, though a variety of chokes were available.