#2 Rolling block project

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Fishoot

#2 Rolling block project

Post by Fishoot »

I have a Remington rolling block which I think is a number 2. The frame has 3 patent dates: May 3rd, Nov 15th 1864 April 17th 1866. Information on the web is skimpy, but I believe this receiver had a rotary extractor. It is missing some parts (extractor and perhaps some associated parts) and the block was broken at some point and brazed together again. The breech of the barrel was converted from central fire cartridge, to blackpowder via nipple ignition. The barrel is closest to .44 caliber. I have taken numerous pictures and would like to know if someone has drawings or pictures of good original parts so I can attempt to duplicate them. I am considering relining the octagon barrel to a low pressure centerfire or .22 long rifle. Advice on cartridge choice would be helpful. I would really like to make it a 25-20 if the action could handle it. I will have to make a new block for the action and will probably use 4140 steel. I do not have a URL for the pictures, but would be happy to send them via pm to anyone willing to help. Thanks for your consideration! :?
vulture

Re: #2 Rolling block project

Post by vulture »

It would seem to me that for the amount of money you are going to spend on this project you could find you a nice .22 rolling block already to go, and given what you said about the rifle it might be some what safer in the long run. They come up all the time on the auction sites and the prices aren't too bad really. By the time you purchase a linner and have it installed and chambered, and then repair the breach block, or get it converted back to rim fire you will be into the project a great deal of money, unless you are doing most if not all of the work yourself.
Fishoot

Post by Fishoot »

Thanks Vulture. Your suggestion is well reasoned. However, I intend to do most of the work myself. Once I take on a project I get attached to the gun and will go to unreasonable (to some) lengths to resurrect an old rifle. I take NRA gunsmithing classes during the summer months and also have a friend that is a machinist who has offered his advice and coaching. All I need is drawings or pictures of the parts to let me know how to proceed with making the parts I need.
tjack

Post by tjack »

Short of having another No 2 Rolling Block to measure parts for exact dimensions you should probably get ahold of Frank de Haas' book "Single Shot Rifles and Actions". This will give you visual photos/drawings of the parts and their relationships. Frank advises keeping pressures to about 35,000 pounds for conversions. The .25-20 WCF is one of the ctgs recommended. I have a No 2 in .25-20SS and the two have similar ballistics even tho the cases are very different.
Good Luck!!
Dakota7

Post by Dakota7 »

This place will cast you a new one.
http://therifleshoppe.com/
Look under the single shot parts.
vulture

Post by vulture »

Ok, having said what I did above I can understand exactly what you are saying about getting attached to a project like this and wanting to see it through even if it costs more than the finished product will be worth on the open market. My wife doesn't understand why I do this very same thing, but then she doesn't understand my love of firearms, especially old ones. I hope you are able to get or make what ever you need. I would love to see the finished gun when ever you finally get it all put together.