My first Remington Now what is it? PICS!

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Pocketfisherman

My first Remington Now what is it? PICS!

Post by Pocketfisherman »

Hello I am rather new to collecting antique firearms I have few Colts, Winchesters H&A etc.. I just purchased my first Remington Derringer.

How do i find out the date of manufacture and model number. The only markings other than the Remington on the top of the barrel is sort of a sideways C next to the numbers 62 or 26 not sure.

Here are some pics. Does Remington offer factory letters like Colt?

Cheers,

Shawn

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
DavidFagan

Re: My first Remington Now what is it? PICS!

Post by DavidFagan »

Type's and Model's for double derringers is somewhat open to interpretation based on who you talk to and what book you look in.
But I call this a Model 95
Type II (Second owner made after 1888 when the Remington Family sold the company to Schuyler, Hartley, and Graham)
Third Model (because of the placement of the lettering)
There are also 5 variations based on the size, font type, and even the size of the letter O in CO. From the pictures this one appears to be the third variation but other then it being well accepted that the shortline was the first and the only one who's numbers can be considered serial no's because they weren't restarted after 9999 because they didn't make that many, I don't think the order of the variations is anything but an agreed on order for classification. That's why you see most people refer to them as shortline, slantline, etc.
Considering the quantity of first variations (short lines) you can probably knock off the first three years of production but I don't think you can get a production date any closer then 1891-1911
So that's not a C it's a batch number it's just worn, take off the grips, your find another.
As for the bullets they look like the reproduction ones made ?10 years ago? if there's a V on the bottom that's them, even those are getting a bit hard to find, and last I asked at the NRA show in Milwalkee no plans for another run, yet.

As for factory letter from Remington like C..., no.
Pocketfisherman wrote:Hello I am rather new to collecting antique firearms I have few Colts, Winchesters H&A etc.. I just purchased my first Remington Derringer.

How do i find out the date of manufacture and model number. The only markings other than the Remington on the top of the barrel is sort of a sideways C next to the numbers 62 or 26 not sure.

Here are some pics. Does Remington offer factory letters like Colt?

Cheers,

Shawn

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Pocketfisherman

Post by Pocketfisherman »

Thanks David,

I took the grips off, the number under the grip is 968. From this batch number is there no way to narrow down the production date? I am trying to establish it's pre 1898 status.

Shawn
DavidFagan

Post 1898?

Post by DavidFagan »

This model is typically sold pre-1898 (i.e. no ffl required) because it's not possible to determine it's production date other then that range. The data simply does not exists, there is production numbers but they do not indicate any information on variation. 70,272 of this model were produced, less then 4,000 of them shortlines based on research.
Pocketfisherman wrote:Thanks David,

I took the grips off, the number under the grip is 968. From this batch number is there no way to narrow down the production date? I am trying to establish it's pre 1898 status.

Shawn
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer