Remingto 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
picuda

Remingto 14

Post by picuda »

I recently acquired a nice R14a in .30rem. The barrel has 4 code stampings on the barrel. They are kr3, cr3, ar3 and er3 (left to right heading aft) with a double struck W next to the receiver. They all appear to have been done prior to blueing the barrel. The rifle has not been re-blued. Any ideas as to why so many stampings. Who ever did them wasnt really neat as far as an orderly pattern as seen on the rest of the markings on the rifle. I have other R14's & 14 1/2's which don't have the barrel markings at all. I suppose that the barrel markings came at a later date?
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

PICUDA

A date code followed by the number three incdicates a factory repair date. The blackpowder code system started in 1921. It looks as if the factory did some work on your gun in 1924. I don't know what the WW stands for but most often the letter J is next to the receiver. This is an inspectors stamp. That might be what you are looking at. Just for your information, you posted your question on the pistol part of the forum. No problem with that but, it could get missed by the 14 collectors.
shot1too@aol.com