Remington Rolling Block SHOTGUN?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Bob

Remington Rolling Block SHOTGUN?

Post by Bob »

Wow! I can't beleive how hard it is to track down info on a gun. Well ,here is what I have. I found an E. Remington and Sons Rolling Block and I have been unable to find any info on it. Description is as follows

It appears to be a shotgun,It has no model number,no serial number. It has a bead site on the front of the barrel ,no rear site.I t has a short forearm and what appears to be an english style stock. The only marking on the barrel is on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm is a single "P" . The Name E.Remington and sons Ilion NY and several patent dates are stamped behind hammer ,but are double stamped and hard to read.
My first question is if it is a shotgun ,where can I find information concerning it's worth ? The www has been less the helpfu as there is plenty of info on Rolling Block rifles but not much on rolling block shotguns. Any help locating info would be helpful and appreciated.
Bob:(
If you follow behind the lead dog the scenery never changes.
oldremguy

Remington Rolling Block Shotgun

Post by oldremguy »

Bob,
There isn't a lot written on rolling blocks, in Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms, the shotguns were made from about 1870's to 1880's, Model No.1 : 16 gauge chambered for interchangeable 16 Brass or 20 gauge paper shells with shotgun buttplate. The Model No.2 was a 20 gauge still chambered for the same 16 Brass or 20 paper, but most of the parts on the No.2 were made for military rifle gun parts, barrels and military buttplates. The barrels were 30 to 32 inches long.
Values range from abou $250.00 for very good to $600.00 for Exc. condition. Hope that helps good luck with the gun.
oldremguy

Remington Rolling Block Shotgun

Post by oldremguy »

Bob,
There isn't a lot written on rolling blocks, in Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms, the shotguns were made from about 1870's to 1880's, Model No.1 : 16 gauge chambered for interchangeable 16 Brass or 20 gauge paper shells with shotgun buttplate. The Model No.2 was a 20 gauge still chambered for the same 16 Brass or 20 paper, but most of the parts on the No.2 were made for military rifle gun parts, barrels and military buttplates. The barrels were 30 to 32 inches long.
Values range from abou $250.00 for very good to $600.00 for Exc. condition. Hope that helps good luck with the gun.
Bobr

rolling block shotgun

Post by Bobr »

Thanks for the info, You are the first to offer any info at all. It has been a big help.
Bob

Post by Guest »

I obtained a "rolling block" action a few months ago.

no woodwork or barrel.

Absolutely no markings whatsoever. Except for the number 393 on the tangs

There were differences to other RB's I had seen.

Left hand side didnt have the small block thing between the pins

The extractor is a small piece of metal that is parralel to the barrel.

The trigger guard is much more rounded than any I had seen before.

After much investigation on the internet I came to the conclusion that it was a Swedish Shotgun Rolling Block Action. Apparently these were common in Sweden and Norway.

Check out the Swedish RB's you may find information there.

Since had the action barreled with a Badger 34" full octagonal chambered for 45-70.

Had an extractor fabricated for it. The trigger smoothed out to a pull of 3 lbs.

Bought a tunnel front sight for it and a soule type rear sight.

I have woodwork coming from the US as well as a butplate and a tenon for the fore wood.

Should have this fine old action shooting again within the month. I have browned the barrel but left the action alone as after 100+ years of existance it has earned every little scratch and nick on it.

Hope this helps.

Chris