new to Remington pistols new army model question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
shootist

new to Remington pistols new army model question

Post by shootist »

Hello,
I have an op. to purchase a model 1861 new army-patent1858- its in the brown so to speak- after having a read up a bit on them- I still have questions, Im sure you have answered before.....
my question is this:
the ser.# is 779392- ser# is the same under grip, and there are various letter markings on takedon lever, frame
and trigger gaurd. w,j,c.

cant really make it out but it appears to be a date in a box on left grip, not initials,(I dont think) but looks like 186? or 187? (4 digits ) i think,- its very very faint but visible
I cant seem to locate any new army's in this range
im a little lost here as my collection knowledge
is ww1 and 2 martial arms
look foward to any help
the pistol is reasonably inexpensive, and all the #s match- the ser# seems high though..... but I would like some help
from the Remington collectors
thanks!
Shootist
Last edited by shootist on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Huber
Site Admin

NM Army

Post by Jay Huber »

Based on the serial number yours is a New Model Army not a 61 model. It was made mid 1864. The other marks are military inspector marks and the mark on the grip in a box will be the final inspector mark with initials not date. Jay Huber RSA
shootist

Post by shootist »

Jay,
thanks for the help-
is there any reason I cant seem to find
a listing of these higher numbered revolvers? from what Ive read
martial revolvers only went up too the 138,000 range.
perhaps if not by your experience with remingtons,
could you tell me here to find such a list?
thanks again
Shootist
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Lists

Post by Jay Huber »

No list exist that I know of, just ranges and estimates. There is a book that will soon be published on Remington Handguns that will have an estimated list that is pretty good. Watch this site for announcement. It is probably due about the end of the year. Regards Jay Huber RSA
Jay Huber
Site Admin

New Model

Post by Jay Huber »

I just reread your message and I made a mistake in reading your serial. Are you sure the serial is 779392? That's too high for any Remington New Model They should have stopped at 148000 +. When the war ended Remington stopped producing 44 cal NM and was stuck with a bunch of military marked guns. Remington used a clamping devise to hold down the frame while they individually number stamped the frame. This devise left a mark in front the serial number that is often mistaken for a 1 or 7. The other serial numbers are found under the loading lever and on the tab at the back end of the trigger guard, either complete or partial. Sometimes it is found on the rear of the cylinder. Look again, something isn't right. Jay
shootist

Post by shootist »

I thought it may have been to high of a ser#
I will take some pics in the next day or so
and post them for you I dont think it is any type mark left by a clamping device (I hope it is though) if it was clamped would'nt the impresion be at both ends of the number? the numbers look identical in 3 locations
under loading lever, under grip, and on frame, I have not checked the cylinder, although they all look like they have been stamped one at a time, if infact the numbers are "what they are", what could this mean? as I said earlier what caught my eye was the price- less then $800.00
look foward too your reply
John
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

The clamp mark appears only at the beginning of the serial stamped on the grip frame, while the others don't show a clamp mark. I am as confused as you in that I have never seen such a high number. Could it be a repro? Did you look for a number on the tab of the trigger guard? Jay
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

My email address is (huber7774@bellsouth .net) Jay
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Also New Models are not serial numbered on the loading lever? Jay
shootist

Post by shootist »

Im sorry Jay what I meant was the ser# is under the loading lever on the barrel. After carefull and close inspection today-
I discovered the two # 7's are acually the # 1
so the correct ser# is 119392 on the barrel, frame-under grip, and the cylinder; and the cartouche is letters (i think the last two are: F P or SP,or AF I cant make out the first letter, they are all difficult too make out)
I also see a small "clamp" mark near the first digit
when I pick up the pistol I will email you some pics,
now... will the correct ser# place manuf. in mid '64?
also is there anyway to trace back issue(probably not but figured
I would ask)
thanks for all your help hope I didnt confuse you too much!
John
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

Now we are making sense. 119392 would have it manufactured in Dec. 1864. I still can't tell you to whom assigned. Record not available. Jay
shootist

Post by shootist »

Jay
thanks for help and the patience! its been informative
I will keep my eye out for the new book you mention earlier
and will email you some pics
when I pick up the pistol
John