Remington models 8 and 81

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
getitdone1

Post by getitdone1 »

Fellows,

Good to be here. Here's my first post.

I'm thinking of buying a Remington model 8 or 81. What's the pros and cons of each?

My main quest is to find a very reliable semi-auto, center-fire rifle. Believe these models may qualify.

Would 4-500 dollars be close to what a like new 8 or 81 would sell for?

Are these guns bulky and poor handling?

I'm thinking that the recoil-operated guns--like the models 8 and 81--are more reliable than the more modern gas-operated. Is this true?

Thanks ahead for your replies.

Don McCullough
Hardrada55

Remington 8 and 81

Post by Hardrada55 »

I am no expert on the 8 and 81, but I own a few Model 8s and I qualify as one who likes them. I have owned a Model 81 in the past. These comments are my own observations. If I were going to buy a very reliable semi-auto just to shoot or hunt with, I'd buy something besides a Remington 8 or 81. But, to try to answer your question, I'll start at the end and work my way to the beginning.

Are recoil operated guns more reliable than modern gas operated guns. I don't know. The Model 8s I now have seem to be very reliable guns. I have bought two guns (one 8 and one 81) over the years which were re-assembled by people who did not know what they were doing and which did not work right when I bought them. Over the years I have heard good things and bad things about the more modern Remington semi-auto rifles. Not having owned one of these, all I can do is report other peoples comments.

Are the Model 8s and 81s bulky and poor handling. They do seem a little heavy. The magazine sticking down right where you want to grab the gun is a criticism as old as the design of the gun itself. But the gun seems to come up to the shoulder nicely and I can always acquire a sight picture pretty quick.

If I were buying a like new Model 8 or 81 "grade A" right now I would want to try to get it for less than 400 to 500 dollars. A nice 8 for $350, a nice 81 for $325. Price will vary with what part of the country you are in. I hear these guns are still used and sought after in places like Maine, Wisconsin and Oregon. If you are looking for a "shooter" function is more important than looks. There seem to be quite a few Model 81s around that are in really nice shape. I wouldn't let them jack the price up on me too much just because it was a really nice condition gun... if it was an 81. A like new Model 8 seems to be a rarer bird, and for a "like new" gun in the right caliber, I might be persuaded to part with more money.

I think that the Remington Autoloader is a fascinating piece of firearms history and I really enjoy mine, but they kick bad. My Model 81 in .300 Savage was really bad. I got rid of it. The .35 is bad. I like to shoot my .30 Remington best. But it kicks more than any .30-30. I do not have a .25 Remington and have not shot one, but I bet it is the most pleasant to shoot. The ones with curved metal butts are hard on your shoulder. I like the flat plastic buttplates better and I can see why so many are found today with recoil pads installed. Hurts their "collectability" but makes them more "shootable".

It might to wise to invest in John Henwood's book "the Great 8". And talk to as many people as you can about this ugly, but, "cool" gun. Good luck. If you get to west Texas or N.M., lets go shoot. Walt
steve holden

Post by steve holden »

Hi Y'all,

When comparing my Remington 81 in 300 Savage with my US Springfield M1903A2. I find that the #81 recoils less and is more comfortable. I think that my #81 is a 1949 model.

I also noticed the comfortable recoil in my #8 in 35 Remington.

A drawback is that the Remington scope mounts are on the left hand side, that is ok for right handed persons but the left side mount is not best for left handed persons.

As Many of you are aware, Texas Ranger Frank Hamer (hay-mer) used a Remington to kill Bonnie and Clyde, at the same time some others were spraying down the area with lead bullets, he placed kill shots into each of them.

(Guess what? I am a Texan)

steveholden@carolina.rr.com