Double barrel derringer

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
apache

Double barrel derringer

Post by apache »

I recently inherited a .41 caliber double barrel derringer. The inscription on the barrel is: Remingotn Arms Co. ILION N.Y. The number 43 is on the barrel. There are no other markings. Can any one help me discover when the gun was manufactured? Also, can ammunition be purchased? Thanks.

Stan Miller
DavidFagan

Re: Double barrel derringer

Post by DavidFagan »

apache wrote:I recently inherited a .41 caliber double barrel derringer. The inscription on the barrel is: Remingotn Arms Co. ILION N.Y. The number 43 is on the barrel. There are no other markings. Can any one help me discover when the gun was manufactured? Also, can ammunition be purchased? Thanks.

Stan Miller
There should be a 43 on the frame under the left grip as well. Unless it's a first variation it's a batch number (more likely) and not a serial no. It was made from 1888-1912 (first variation probably 88-91) There was a run a ammo 10 years back or so (maybe more) but even that is hard to find and expensive. If you really want to shoot it Dixie Gun Works sells a brass case that you put a 22 short in, fill with powder and a ball... Part: KA1307 Just have to line up the shorts on the edge in the middle.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer