32 Remington Value

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
phf1058

32 Remington Value

Post by phf1058 »

I have a 32 Remington that was my grandfather's. The latest dat stamped on the sight is July 3, 1902. The serial number is 13581. There is an "S" above the serial number and a circled "P" below. On the side is stamped "DG3" above "BB3" above "PL3". The varnish is mostly worn from the stock; the metal is in good condition with no rust.

What is an approximate value for this rifle.

Thanks for any assistance,

Peter Fogg
hardrada55

32 Remington

Post by hardrada55 »

Peter, you are going to have to tell us whether your rifle is a pump action rifle, a bolt action rifle or a semi-automatic rifle with a fat barrel. I do not think what you are referring to is a Remington Model 32 shotgun because you call it a rifle plus, they only made about 6000 of those shotguns, so the serial number you give is wrong for a shotgun. The letters followed by the numeral "3" are dates this gun was returned to the factory for repairs. "DG3" is "September 1938"; "BB3" is "January 1933"; and "PL3" is "June 1942". Because your gun was repaired in 1933, I do not think you have a Remington Model 81 semi-auto rifle. They started making that gun in 1936. The Model 81 and Model 8 were almost the same gun except for some differences in the details. I think you either have a Remington Model 8 semi-auto rifle, a Remington Model 14 pump rifle, or a Remington Model 30 bolt action rifle. If you can give us some more information about what your gun looks like, we can do a better job of telling you what it is worth.

Post by guest »

The "S" could mean Model 6, a single shot in 32 caliber, but more info is needed.
phf1058@yahoo.com

32 Remington

Post by phf1058@yahoo.com »

I have a 32 Remington that was my grandfather's. The latest dat stamped on the sight is July 3, 1902. The serial number is 13581. There is an "S" above the serial number and a circled "P" below. On the side is stamped "DG3" above "BB3" above "PL3". The varnish is mostly worn from the stock; the metal is in good condition with no rust.

The 32 Remington I own is a semi-automatic with an internal clip loaded through the top of the gun(it holds 4 in the clip and one in the chamber when the action is closed). It has a barrel within a barrel.

Thanks for the infor regarding the repair dates. The gun works great as I shot my first deer with it 23 years ago. I have somewhere around 4 to 5 boxes of bullets for this gun.

I am looking for an approximate value on this rifle

Peter
Hardrada55

Remington Model 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

You have a Remington Model 8 made in 1909. Value. (Long Answer) I think value for these vintage guns depends on two things. How much original finish is left on the gun and what part of the country you live in. Basically, if the gun looks like new, then collectors are going to want it and the value will be higher. If it has been used alot and the blue has worn off and/or turned "plumb" colored, then the value will be lower. I think of those as "shooters". My shooter is my first Model 8 I bought in 1994. It was made in 1918 and it is about a 50% gun with lots of use. I was in Texas. If you are in Maine or Wisconsin, Minnesota or Washington, Oregon, value will be more because these are still seen as hunting guns (at least that is what I understand) in those parts of the country. In Texas and New Mexico, they are mainly curiosities. People just are not as interested in them as they are lever guns. Value (short answer). If, today, you have a 75% original finish gun with no special, sights, wood, engraving etc, in shootable condition (of course) I think (and this is my opinion, if you're smart you'll ask alot of different people) you should be able to get $275 - $325 for it. I see lots of them for sale at $325 - $350. I like them but I try not to pay more than $350 for nice ones.
Hardrada55

Remington Model 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

You have a Remington Model 8 made in 1909. Value. (Long Answer) I think value for these vintage guns depends on two things. How much original finish is left on the gun and what part of the country you live in. Basically, if the gun looks like new, then collectors are going to want it and the value will be higher. If it has been used alot and the blue has worn off and/or turned "plumb" colored, then the value will be lower. I think of those as "shooters". My shooter is my first Model 8 I bought in 1994. It was made in 1918 and it is about a 50% gun with lots of use. I was in Texas. If you are in Maine or Wisconsin, Minnesota or Washington, Oregon, value will be more because these are still seen as hunting guns (at least that is what I understand) in those parts of the country. In Texas and New Mexico, they are mainly curiosities. People just are not as interested in them as they are lever guns. Value (short answer). If, today, you have a 75% original finish gun with no special, sights, wood, engraving etc, in shootable condition (of course) I think (and this is my opinion, if you're smart you'll ask alot of different people) you should be able to get $275 - $325 for it. I see lots of them for sale at $325 - $350. I like them but I try not to pay more than $350 for nice ones.