Newby Model 1875?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
SeaWeasel

Newby Model 1875?

Post by SeaWeasel »

I have a nickle what I believe to be a Model 1875. External markings are: (1) E. Remington & Sons, Ilion, NY, USA on the top of the barrel (2) SN 679 under the left grip and door and (3) .44 on the left of the trigger guard. I believe the grips are ivory, but not certain. Anybody have any information they can share? From my searches on this site this must be (?) a post-1882 piece? Thanks in advance.
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Newby Model 1875?

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Serial numbers alone are useless in dating production of the Remington Model 1875 Revolver. However, certain features of the revolver do give a clue to an estimated time of production. The location of the caliber marking on the left rear of the trigger guard bow (approximately) 1882-1886.

The first run of 1875s manufactured were numbered from 1 to about 16,000. Most of these were originally made in .44 Remington caliber. a cartridge favored by the Egyptian Government; they placed an order for 10,000. Somewhere near the 14,000 serial number, Remington introduced the revolver in .44-40 Caliber. To distinguish between the two .44 Caliber revolvers, the latter was stamped on the left grip with a plain 44. When Remington started numbering the 1875s in batches, this feature was carried over also, later batch numbered revolvers were stamped on the grip with 44 W, The W stood for Winchester and better identified the caliber. Even later came the caliber marking on the frame between the barrel and cylinder again only 44.

On the final version that was introduced about 1882, the caliber mark is now on the left rear of the trigger guard bow. When the new firm of Remington Arms Co. introduced the Model 1890, the caliber marking was changed to 44 WCF, for Winchester Center Fire.

Unfortunately, we will never know how many batches of 1875s Remington produced. Most batch numbered revolvers have serial numbers that are three digits or less, although there are exceptions.

There are several variations of the 1875, depending on how they are categorized. They were made in three different calibers. The first made had no caliber markings, the first caliber marks appeared on the left grip, the second was stamped on the left frame in front of the cylinder, and the final marking was stamped on the left trigger guard bow.

These features, combined with two different front sights, five different hammer types, two variations of barrel stamping, two types of triggers and trigger guards, with or without lanyard, and different milling of the frame can produce quite a variety of variations.

Best regards,
Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
SeaWeasel

Re: Newby Model 1875?

Post by SeaWeasel »

Mike- thanks for the information. I will see about posting some pictures and maybe that will aid in getting it narrowed down a little.