Remington Mohawk 600 Mannlicher stock

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
remington660

Remington Mohawk 600 Mannlicher stock

Post by remington660 »

I am a new member, just got on this afternoon. I am going back to a thread from July 9, 07. Some years back I purchased 3 of these Remingtons from a gentleman from Penn. He also sent me a history of these guns. True or not I don't know but all I can forward is what I have been told.
In 1974 Remington Arms Company contracted a custom stock maker in Stutgart, Germany to stock 142 of their mohawk actions in various calibres. Remington sent the actions to the stock maker, one of which was stocked and shipped back to Remington, while the other 141 were being stocked. Remington for some reason decided to abandon the project and in lieu of payment to the stock maker, under his contract, the remaining 141 mohawk barrelled actions were given to the stock maker.
In 1975 the stock maker sold the completed 141 carbines to the Stutgart Rod and Gun
Club who in turn sold 70 of them to the Heidelberg Rod and Gun Club.
The only Americans citizens that were able to purchase these and bring them back to the country were members of the military. Therefore very few of these carbines can be found in the United States. They were customed stocked by the stock maker to give identical weight and balance regardless of calibre.
In 1978 three were purchased by Major Charles Doran in Heidelberg, Germany and brought back to this country.

My guns are: 222 calibre Serial # A6798742 Markings: 72 EV 72
243 calibre Serial # A6653158 11 EV 47
308 calibre Serial # A6679204 14 EQ 18

As I said, I am only relaying what I have been told.
Rich/WIS

Re: Remington Mohawk 600 Mannlicher stock

Post by Rich/WIS »

I remember seeing them in the Rod & Gun club at Patch Barracks in the early 80's, kick myself for not getting one. As I recall the price was in the low $200 range.
charliew

Post by charliew »

I bet they are nice. I would like to see some pictures. I guess they are not for sale.
Charliew
remington660

Post by remington660 »

Sorry they are not for sale. That is what my wife complains about. I buy but never sell. More fun to buy than to sell.
bobbyremington600

Post by bobbyremington600 »

Remington 660, if you don't want to sell any of your rifles, which I wouldn't do if I was you either, but if you decide to sell one, I want to be first in line, I've been dreaming with one of these little rifles, can you do me a favor? Can you send me detailed pictures of the stock? MAybe I can find a stock maker that can build one for me, since I have 3 units of 600 Mohawks, I can convert any of them into a Mannlicher stock.

Tks in advance, regards,

Roberto
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PLEASE put the photo's here or send them to me and I will, I think a lot of people would like to see this....
I can size or whatever it if needs to be done if you send them don't worry about that.
remington660

Post by remington660 »

My camera is not working right now, but as soon as I can get it working again I will try to put some pictures on here. I have never sent pictures before but will try.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

These rifles in this configuration were all sold to australia. They are quite common there. I have had offers to buy some in the past. I do have photos. If I get a chance I will try to post mine. I have not posted pictures either, but will try.