1894 BE Restoration

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Gordon Green

1894 BE Restoration

Post by Gordon Green »

I have a 1894 BE 12 ga with Damascus barrels that I want to have restored. Barrels redone, case redone and stock refinished and checkering recut. The gun is straight but well used. They must have used sand paper gloves in 1899 to wear the checkering down so much. I have two questions:
1. Would the barrels have been browned or black? The pictures I see of restored Remington guns seem to have black barrels.
2. Who would you recommend for this kind of job? I have used Buck Hamlin to restore a Lefever and a Smith, but he only browns barrels?

thanks,
Gordon
Gordon Green

Re: 1894 BE Restoration

Post by Gordon Green »

Well, I guess no one had any thoughts to share, so I will let you know what I decided to do. The barrels have been sent to Dale Edmonds and when they are finished, Buck Hamlin will re case the frame,etc. and refinish and re cut the checkering.
Gordon
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

Gordon, This is late but my thoughts, if the gun is not in good condition restore it otherwise I would leave it alone you just waste your money like they say refinish you ruin the value, orginal is best if you want a new gun buy one..I collect Remington Doubles
Gordon Green

Post by Gordon Green »

Thanks, 2 shooter. The gun appears to be structurally OK, but the finish is a wreck. No finish on the case hardening, the checkering is completely worn off the stock and forend and I think I see a crack in the back of the buttstock. However, the ejectors work, it hasn't been messed with or shortened, etc. and i got it really cheap, $250.
I appreciate your input, and generally I agree with you, but I am thinking of having it done and shoot it. It will be a nice looking gun and I won't have a ton of $$ in it.
thanks,
Gordon
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Go ahead and restore it - you're only wasting your money if you're doing it to resell. I do all my own work and nothing feels better than turning a beat up gun into one that looks nice. Good luck - Paul
Gordon Green

Post by Gordon Green »

I have on plans to resell it, only shoot it and enjoy it. If I was going to resell it, I would have put it on Gunbroker and I'm sure I would have made a small profit.
Thanks,
Gordon
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Gordon, I have three Parker hammerguns that I shoot - but also shoot Remington SxS's . They are a 73, 89, and a B, C, and F grade 94's - and a A grade 1900. No one else where I go shoots Remingtons, so it's quite a bit of fun to show and shoot them. They're just as well made, or better, than any of the other big name SxS guns. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine - Paul