16 ga 1889 info for Rem RB

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Gordon Green

16 ga 1889 info for Rem RB

Post by Gordon Green »

Charles,
When we spoke a couple months ago, you asked for info, if I was able to purchase the Mod 1889 16 ga. that we discussed. I purchased it last week and here are the specs:
Grade 1
Serial #245087
Mfg d. 1904
28" barrels, choked Mod and Mod on my Galazan gauge, Pellet count is 276 right, 284 left. Does that pellet count match up with a Mod/Mod choke on a 16 ga?
Weight 7 lbs, 6 oz.
Frame: Lightweight, with the metal removed on the barrel flats, watertable and rear locking lugs.
I don't think any of the screws have ever been out of the gun. I have a question regarding the case colors. It is considerably darker around and under the hammers. I thought it was grease,oil build up, gunk, etc. and then read on another site about a gun (Parker) that still had some of the original varnish or lacquer remaining on portions of the frame.
Did Remington coat their casehardened areas and from the attached photos, can you tell if this resembles lacquer or dirt?
Thanks for your help on this gun. I am going to have fun shooting pheasants with it this fall.
Gordon
RemRB

Re: 16 ga 1889 info for Rem RB

Post by RemRB »

Gordon,
You got a beauty. Regards the pellet count. So far we have never come up with a 16 gauge hand tag so don't know what load Remington used in patterning. I would say whatever your gauge indicates would be correct. And being a 16ga. I would guess mod/mod would be correct. From the photos I would say that is original gunk and color. Yes I have seen a number of them that had this varnish. You could attempt to clean it with TLC using maybe Hopes 9 and cloth.
Gordon Green

Post by Gordon Green »

Thanks Charles,
I know this question has been beat to death, but what limitations would you use when shooting this gun with the Decarbonized Steel barrels? I was thinking of Polywad Vintagers or Doublewides. Is the Decarbonized Steel considered to be softer than the Damascus of a grade 2?
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

My 1873 has decarbonized steel barrels and I shoot reloads under 7000psi with no problems. Those barrel gauges only wotk if the bore size before the chokes are standard size, and many are not. My Parkers [ in 12ga. ] have up to .742 bores and standard is .729. If you want to be sure of chokes - constriction - you'll need an inside dial indicator. Paul
Gordon Green

Post by Gordon Green »

Paul,
I also have a 10ga 1879 with Damascus barrels. I have never shot it, but may try some black powder loads this fall.
Thanks,
Gordon
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

The crowd I " run " with looks for damascus barrel guns - they're usually cheaper. Or at least in the past, but things are a changing. A good damascus barrel is just as safe as any barrel made back then. There's about eight of us at my club who shoot damascus barrel shotguns all the time with nitro loads. Granted we reload to under 7000psi - but that's only common sense for 100+ year old guns. We're not worried so much about the barrels blowing up, but shooting the actions loose. Of the ten SxS's I own, only two have steel barrels - the rest twist or damascus. I normally shoot modern low pressure loads, but sometimes some B.P. for fun. Paul
RemRB

Post by RemRB »

Gordon,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Decarbonized steel is strong. I have been told the steel is about what they make nails with. Yes, it is a softer steel, but will stand up to most anything. As long as the previous posts are pretty much adheared to you can shoot most any smokeless loads. If you reload, SR7625 is the powder to use. Low pressures can be attained. Be aware that the chambers in your Remington are probably 2 9/16 inch, not 2 3/4.
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

Hey guys. I have a chance to purchase a 1889 Remington Coach gun in 16 gauge. It looks to be in working order and very close to the condition of the one pictured above. Based on this limited information, what would you guys consider this to be worth? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks guys.