1875 Remington Revolver in 44 Remington Question

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
dingus

1875 Remington Revolver in 44 Remington Question

Post by dingus »

OK i want to buy a 1875 Remington BUT it must be in 44 Remington.
Most i see people claim there 44 40.
Are the 44 Remington Chambered ones marked 44 or is there no caliber stamp on the 44 Reminton chambered ones.

How can i spot a 44 Remington Chambered 1875 ???

Again any help would be great :)
Mike Strietbeck

Re: 1875 Remington Revolver in 44 Remington Question

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

The first run of 1875s manufactured were numbered from 1 to about 16,000. Most of these were originally made in .44 Remington caliber. a cartridge favored by the Egyptian Government; they placed an order for
10,000. Somewhere near the 14,000 serial number, Remington introduced the revolver in .44-40 Caliber. To distinguish between the two .44 Caliber revolvers, the latter was stamped on the left grip with a plain 44.

When Remington started numbering the 1875s in batches, this feature was carried over also, later batch numbered revolvers were stamped on the grip with 44 W, The W stood for Winchester and better identified the caliber. Even later came the caliber marking on the frame between the barrel and cylinder again only 44.

On the final version that was introduced about 1882, the caliber mark is now on the left rear of the trigger guard bow. When the new firm of Remington Arms Co. introduced the Model 1890, the caliber marking was changed to 44 WCF, for Winchester Center Fire.

44 Remington - A. Rim Thickness............0.033"
- No calber marking on revolver

44-40 WCF - A. Rim Thickness............0.053"
- Early production marking "44"
Middle " " "44W"
Late " " "44WCF"

While the lack of caliber markings is a quick way to start, but if the grips have been altered or replaced, you'll need a second method.
On the Model 1875's chambered for the 44 Remington, the headspace (clearance between the rear of the cylinder and the frame) is too small to allow a 44-40 cartridge to load and have the cylinder rotate. Most folks
would frown at you trying to load their revolver at a gun show or auction so I'd recommend that you create a shim for the rim thickness of each round to verify the fit.

Hope this helps,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
dingus

Post by dingus »

Help? are you kidding this is Great :D

Thanks this is Exactly what i needed to Know!
Mike Strietbeck

Thanks for the kind words.

If you are not already a member, maybe this would help convince you to join the RSA.

Best Regards,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Thats why he is Rem-Shots. WOW
dingus

Post by dingus »

Well im a lucky Sod :lol: I just bought a Orignal Remington 1875 on Gun broker Buy it now.
Its a super low Ser # 124
The fellow that has it says its a 44 Remignton Calibered one.

Its in Need of TLC has had the Barrel shortened and was a Texas Border gun.
Im thinking this gun has some history.

Is there anyway to Check on the Remington guns Where they were sold ECT like with a S&W.
Im guessing No, but thought id ask ?
Mike Strietbeck

Well, now comes the bad news. Unfortunately, factory records concerning sales of firearms prior to and shortly after the turn of the 20th century are virtually nonexistent and a such, unless you locate records from previous owners, you are most likely out of luck. If you do locate information, please share it with the rest of us.

Mike Strietbeck