Model 721 History

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Shuell69

Model 721 History

Post by Shuell69 »

My father gave me my grandfather's model 721 before my dad died last year. My father told that my grandfather had chambered it in .300 Weatherby. The barrel has three sets of hole drilled at the end of it each set containing six holes in row lengthwise. This appears to be a muzzle break, or lift reduction break of some kind. My father said that this rifle had held several records in the 1000-yard match. I am seeking any source information where I learn more about this rifle. The serial number is 286766. Thanks for any help.

Tim
hamden725

Post by hamden725 »

286766 is from about 1952 - 1953. Originally probably a 300 H&H Magnum, either rechambered or rebarreled. Is the barrel still original and re-marked as Weatherby? If original barrel it should have 2-3 letters stamped on the left flank in front of the receiver. My guess the letters would be _YY or _ZZ. YY for 1952, ZZ for 1953. The blank "_" is for the month of assembly based on the letters "B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X". A letter for months 1-12 in order. Example: "OUU" is O=7, UU=1949, or July, 1949.

You might search "Palma Match" or the NRA or CMP Long Range matches for info on Grandpa's entry in such matches.