Need help with a rifle value

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
SharpsShtr

Need help with a rifle value

Post by SharpsShtr »

Gentlemen,

First time post here on the forum. I am looking at purchasing a Rolling Block and I'm hoping that maybe someone can give me an idea as to it's worth. It is an early conversion model using most of the parts from the 1861 .58 Springfield muskets. The barrel is still the three groove .58 calibre Springfield barrel and is 39" long. The receiver is a round top with the lower tang longer than the upper one.

Overall the wood is good and the metal has a little bluing left but is mostly the light brown patina that comes with age. There is some pitting on the bottom of the barrel in the barrel channel area though it doesn't appear it'll effect the functioning of the weapon. The lands still appear reasonably sharp though there is some pitting. No worse than on my little Sharps carbine though.

The rear & middle bands and the sight leafs may be replacements. It has a two line patent block of lettering on the upper tang. I can't make out the date real well from the photos but it looks like the dates are something like "MAY ?? May ?? 1864 APRIL ?? 1866". Any ideas on what the ballpark value of this rifle would be? Thanks for your help and your time,

Matt
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

No ideas anyone? $600? $1,500? $300? Just looking for a ballpark value on a good shootable, but not pristine, rifle.

Matt
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
strong enough to take everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
In this life we get nothing save by effort - Theodore Roosevelt
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Well,

I guess the seller & I kind of answered the question. If the value of something is what a person is willing to pay for it, then it's value is $600. Now I just have to wait for the rifle to show up and to work up a good .58 load for it. Luckily the next installment of the Black Powder Cartridge news is going to have an article on loading for the .58 Government cartridges.

Matt

ehull

Good value

Post by ehull »

While this site does not usually offer or comment upon the value of firearms (too many variables and the purchaser could end up disappointed in the RSA), I would say that you got a very fair deal for this musket at $600. Especially if it's in sufficiently good condition to shoot. If it has "SC" on the butt plate tang, you got one of the 5,000 bought by South Carolina in 1869.
SharpsShtr

Re: Good value

Post by SharpsShtr »

ehull wrote:While this site does not usually offer or comment upon the value of firearms (too many variables and the purchaser could end up disappointed in the RSA), I would say that you got a very fair deal for this musket at $600. Especially if it's in sufficiently good condition to shoot. If it has "SC" on the butt plate tang, you got one of the 5,000 bought by South Carolina in 1869.
ehull,

Thanks for the info, I figured it was something like that. My guess was that it was worth more. I told the seller I could only afford $600 but thought it was worth way more than that (since Cabela's had a .43 Egyptian that looked like it had been dragged for a 1,000 miles through the desert by a camel for $600 also). I was really suprised when he said he'd sell it for that price. I can't tell from the photos if "SC" is on the butt plate or not, will check it out when she arrives though. The seller did say that under the butt plate someone had carved the name Mary. Boy I'd like to know the story on that!

Are there any sources of information that you can suggest on the history of this gun and/or the loads for it? I can't wait to get it and start measuring and working on it. Thanks so much again,

Matt

ehull

story coming

Post by ehull »

Yes, the hisstory will soon be available in the MAN AT ARMS magazine. I have an article coming out in the not too distant future covering the .58 "conversion" rolling block muskets and rifles.
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Outstanding! I'll definitely be looking forward to reading it. Is Man At Arms a magazine that makes it to the newstands or is it subscription only?
Last edited by SharpsShtr on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudybolla

Re: Good value

Post by rudybolla »

SharpsShtr wrote: Are there any sources of information that you can suggest on the history of this gun and/or the loads for it? I can't wait to get it and start measuring and working on it. Thanks so much again,

Matt
Try George Layman's "The Military Remington Rolling Block Rifle". Affordable and packed with all of the basic information on most major examples of this rifle.
tjack

.58 Berdan

Post by tjack »

Matt,
For a case I use Bertram 577-500 cut down to proper length. I use a Rapine mold # 585510. It is a hollow base design. I'm using 60 gr. equiv. Pyrodex RS for approx. 1152 fps. The bullet weighs about 495 gr. I use some cornmeal filler and one .58 cal Wonder Wad. Good luck and have fun!!!!!
Tom
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Gents,

Thanks for the additional info. I can't wait to start working with her. I found the book over on Dixie's website, and will start accumulating the reloading gear once I verify the chambering. Thanks for the heads up on the load and the 577-500 brass.

Matt

SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Gents,

I just finished reading the above mentioned article in Man At Arms. Mr. Hull wrote an outstanding article that is a wealth of great information. From the information given I believe that my rifle is a "Remington transformation, long" as shown in plate 6 of that article. Judging by the inletting of the forearm and two of the three barrel bands I believe it was converted from an 1861 Musket. The ramrod doesn't look like what I have heard described as a "Tulip" shaped ramrod. I was looking at pictures of ramrods on Dixie Gun Works website (sorry, I don't have good references available) and it looks like either the 1868 Springfield 50-70 ramrod or a .577 Enfiled ramrod. The flat part at the front of the ramrod is approximately .470" in diameter. The smaller of the two sight leafs is probably a replacement as it's shiny blue (everything else is antique in appearance) and the font is different.

It appears to have built after 1870 as it has the flat surface as opposed to the concave one on the lower potion of the breech block (and also the breech face doesn't have a plate added on). There are no markings on it anywhere, with the exception of the two line patent information. On the underside of the barrel just forward of the receiver in 1/16" letters the initials J.M.D are stamped. A little past that, also on the underside of the barrel stamped in 1/8" font is the number 393. Both of these are hidden by the handguard. There is also a matching five digit number stamped on the upper & lower sides of the receiver that are hidden by the butt stock.

I'm happy with it and will report on any further progress.

Matt