.44/77 Remington rolling block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Re: .44/77 Remington rolling block

Post by marlinman93 »

A lot of those had two rear dovetails, so that's correct. But if the front dovetail is close to 3/8" it's likely your barrel was shortened and a new dovetail cut to 3/8" width. I kinda suspected that when you mentioned it was a 26.5" barrel as that's not a correct length for a Remington. They were in even number inches, with just slightly over by maybe 3/16", except for the Creedmoor 34" barrels that had to be no more than 34" exactly. And most Remington rifles had front sight dovetails further back than other brands. Often close to 1.25" to center or even 1.5" from the crown!
Standard dovetail width was .467" width.
NDduckhunter

Post by NDduckhunter »

I’ll have to measure it again, it was done in haste so I might have been off. You measure from the breach of the barrel right?
NDduckhunter

Post by NDduckhunter »

So how are you supposed to measure the dove tail exactly? Is it from the top of the dove tail or bottom?
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

NDduckhunter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 am So how are you supposed to measure the dove tail exactly? Is it from the top of the dove tail or bottom?
Base of the dovetail is the width. I usually remove the front sight and measure it.
NDduckhunter

Post by NDduckhunter »

Yeah, I measured everything wrong lol. I’ll try to get better measurements tonight. My parts should be here today but looks like most will be incorrect, lol.
NDduckhunter

Post by NDduckhunter »

Alright, I received the parts from numrich, none of them fit, lol. The action pins were way too small diameter, the trigger set screw was the wrong size, I didn’t even attempt the trigger spring screw replacement as the treads were wrong but I’m sure the parts could be modified in a pinch to work so I’ll keep them. I remeasured everything, the action pins appeared to be in the .455 range originally maybe up to .457. The RB1 pins I received were the correct length but only .446 diameter. The good news is my barrel is 26 and 3/16” long and the front sight dovetail is .454ish which is correct per Womack. I ended up calling Womack and I’m just going to order the parts from him. He sure seems to know his stuff!