1889 BUTT STOCK, 12 GAUGE VERSUS 10 GAUGE

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
BUSSMAN69

1889 BUTT STOCK, 12 GAUGE VERSUS 10 GAUGE

Post by BUSSMAN69 »

I am looking for an original butt stock and butt plate for a model 1889 double barrel shotgun in 10 gauge. There are way more 1889's in 12 gauge than there are in 10 gauge. Does anyone know if the butt stocks are different sizes for both gauges ?? I would assume that the 10 gauge would be bigger than the 12 gauge ? So that a 12 gauge butt stock would not fit on a 10 gauge gun ? But I am not positive on that. Does anyone know for sure ? Thanks.
Longknife76

Re: 1889 BUTT STOCK, 12 GAUGE VERSUS 10 GAUGE

Post by Longknife76 »

Bussman, I was curious about your question, so I measured my three-model 89's. I have a 10-gauge grade 2, a 12-gauge grade 2 and a 12-gauge grade 1. I measured the width of the stock at the rear of the locks, the height of the stock at the rear of the tang, the pull, (center of butt to front trig), the height of the butt plate and the width of the butt plate. All measurements were within a few thousand of each other. I also measured the width of the action, just in front of the trigger guard and found that measurement to be 1.58 on all three guns. I decided that there is no difference in the stocks between these three models. Also, I discovered that the only difference in the actions is that the 10 was wider where the barrels were fit. I guess this allowed Rem. to use the same locks, triggers, trigger guards butt stocks and Butt plates on all models. I'm sure a cost saving measure for them. Good luck on your search!,,,LK