Remington 1889 12 Gauge Nitro Loads in 2024

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ThomasHoward82

Remington 1889 12 Gauge Nitro Loads in 2024

Post by ThomasHoward82 »

A few months back I acquired a 12 gauge Remington 1889 Grade 1, serial 2448XX (1904). After disassembly and inspection/cleaning, I've found that it has a fully intact stock, surprisingly limited pitting in the bores, and no dents in the fluid steel barrels. Since this was one of the first Remington shotguns designed specifically for use with nitro powders, I would like to hand load my own smokeless 12 gauge shells. However, in researching the topic I’ve run into a lot of conflicting information and misinformation on various forums regarding these late 19th century shotguns. Most of the threads for the Remington 1889 go something like this: OP asks for low pressure nitro load, several people reply that it’s a black powder only firearm, someone else quotes one of the original ads showing it was designed for smokeless, then finally someone lists a load with a powder that’s been discontinued for several years (eg PB, SR7625, Red Dot, and a plethora of others that are also no longer in production). There’s really only one good article I’ve found on the topic and thats written by Ross Seyfried and on ShootingTimes listed as “Blackpowder Shotshell Loading Tips” which has some smokeless load data toward the bottom.

A few other things I’ve been unable to find answers for:
In checking over load data for low pressure powders I see vastly different pressures just with a variation in wad type or shell type (plastic vs paper). Does this have more to do with the materials or the type of crimp used (roll vs five point)? Or is it perhaps the way in which the wads are packed or the thickness used?

Some say that using a plastic wad in these older guns, twist/damascus barrels or not, is unsafe as it will create a constriction at the chokes, other say plastic wads should only be avoided for black powder loads because they might melt in the barrel and make clean up difficult.

Going off of the load data card at the bottom of the ShootingTimes Ross Seyfried article, I’ve purchased W572 and Longshot powder which I was planning to use to work up loads with Circle Fly nitro cards, fiber wads, and overshot cards that I ordered from Track of the Wolf. However I'm unsure if I should decrease the starting powder charge since I'll be using a different wad type than those listed.

What are your thoughts on these two powders and are there any others that you’d suggest I use instead? In general from what I’ve read it seems that I should keep shot charges below 1oz and aim for pressures of below 6500psi. Should I expect lower pressures using fiber wads as opposed to plastic or will there be no notable difference for the wad material used?
dieNusse1

Re: Remington 1889 12 Gauge Nitro Loads in 2024

Post by dieNusse1 »

Ah the loading question!

First question - what is the barrel condition? Is it safe with any load?

The 1889 was designed for smokeless powders of the day. That said, I would use modern powders without question but try to keep pressures below 5500 - 6000 psi or so.

I have several 1900s and 1894s (both steel and Damascus) and load both smokeless and BP. BP is fun until cleaning.

Wads -- I've loaded BP and AA wads in AA hulls. There is a bit of melting going on but if you're not shooting 100s of rounds at any session I don't think it's a problem. Fibre wads topped with a shoot cup might be the answer.

Also I've used brass shells when loading BP which take 11 gauge wads.

As for pressure variance -- the published load hopefully have been tested. Any change in loading whether it be powder charge, wad type, crimp style etc will have an impact.

Basically use common sense and you should be fine
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I have used Red Dot ,Green Dot and now PB all with 1 oz. loads .They all work good. I started with Red Dot 50 years ago.. I bought mine first Remington Double 1889 in 1971 then I went to Green Dot now I using 20 grs. PB 1oz shot. somewhere years back in the America Rifleman is article about loads for English 2inch chamber doubles. That is how I got started loading smokeless powder. If I can help call .
JanPen

Thank you everybody!

Post by JanPen »

I'm giving this post my wholehearted endorsement!
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I listed the powder I used but forgot to tell the shell case I use Federal paper shells.