New model army .44 revolver sn: 54056

Hudd

New model army .44 revolver sn: 54056

Post by Hudd »

Hi All

I’m in the UK and own the above revolver. I’ve had it for nigh on 20 yrs now and always wanted to know when it was manufactured and if it was issued to the US Army ?

All serial numbers match and it is Imagein good working condition. I also own a Uberti stainless steel version that I use at the shooting club I belong to here in the UK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billt

Re: New model army .44 revolver sn: 54056

Post by billt »

Hello Hudd,
Your revolver was manufactured in January of 1864. If it has a cartouche on the left grip panel it was purchased by the Ordnance Department from Remington. Unfortunately there are no records of whom it was issued to.

Bill
Hudd

Re: New model army .44 revolver sn: 54056

Post by Hudd »

Hi Bill

Thanks for the info. There isn’t any cartouche on the left grip and no sign of there ever having been one. It does have the proofing letters on the barrel, frame and cylinder.

The stainless Uberti one I use at our range I load with triple seven powder but if I were ever to get my original one on to my licence I’d have to for black powder as the triple 7 would likely do damage to the revolver and to me !

Hudd