Remington 1858 serial and info help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
loiner1965

Remington 1858 serial and info help

Post by loiner1965 »

Hi
Picked up a rough looking 1858 which will be just a curiosity piece but would like some info please,
It has CSA stamped on the body next to the barrel
Serial number on barrel and inside of grip is 136497
Number on brass trigger guard is different various stamps are 215.... 1.....V.....3
Has Virginia VA on frame too, there is also a faint name just before Virginia which I presume might be a retailer but very hard to make out .
The cylinder fits my pietta 1858 perfectly and indexes correctly even though the cylinder has notches rather than slots for the hand etc... sorry not sure of technical name.
Any info however trivial be welcomed
Many thanks
Patbar

Re: Remington 1858 serial and info help

Post by Patbar »

According to Norm Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms, which is the bible of antique arms collectors, Reminton produced 122,000 units of the .44 Remington New Army Model and 28,000 units of the .36 Remington New Navy Model. So, the 136497 serial is pretty odd since the two models were numbered separately.

Beside, if such a high serial number could have existed, the gun would have been manufactured long after the end of the civil war and the CSA marking would not be plausible.
loiner1965

Post by loiner1965 »

Just had another look and the serial number on both barrel and grip is correct at 136497.
I know nothing at all about antique 1858s just enjoy shooting bp revolvers . My other Remington is an old 1871 rolling block pistol which I posted on here many years ago and still own . I do enjoy the research and many thanks for your reply …..I think this might have been produced around 1865 but not sure why it’s stamped CSA
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Joinier,

Photos are always a huge help in identifying any firearm. Seeing the photos we can help understand the terms that you use, and give the factory designation. Serial 136 497 was made in Feb. of 1865. Most of the last two months' production was put into storage, and never issued. Some were later sold on the civilian market, and some were sold to France in 1871. I have no idea what the "CSA" and the Virginia markings are, except maybe as an attempt to pass it off as a Confederate item.

A note on Flayderman and the Blue Book. They are both good sources of info, but they both have errors and everything should be checked against another source or two.

The models were not numbered separately. Remington serial numbers started with the Beals, continued with the 1861, and then through the New Models. This explains why the serial numbers on the NMA reach 148xxx, but "only" 122xxx were made. The 148 number includes all Army models made, the Beals, the 1861, and the NMA.

Here is some wild speculation. The gun found it's way to Europe, maybe as part of the pistols sent to France. The CSA markings are not correct for Confederate guns and would instantly be suspected as frauds in the US, but not in Europe. Someone marked the pistol as you have it, and try to pass it off as a Confederate gun. In the US this is called a WAG - Wild Ass Guess!! :D So take it for what it is worth.

The rear face of the cylinder on your Pietta copied the style used by the New Model Belt Revolver. This may have been an improvement of the system used on all other Remington revolvers, but it was never used on the NMAs or NMNs. Yes this is another guess, but it's not a WAG. :) With no factory records, we will ever know.

enjoy your find,
Daniel