Request recognized assessment/appraisal for unfired 58 Remington NMA

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Chuck T

Request recognized assessment/appraisal for unfired 58 Remington NMA

Post by Chuck T »

I'm 81 & a long time Idaho collector of flint & percussion era antique firearms & am now parting with a portion.
In my collection I have a 1858 Remington NMA in unfired condition with 98+% of it's original bluing. It's matching 62,5xx serial numbers indicates it was part of the March 1864 military contract shipment.

A similar 1858 Remington NMA in very similar condition recently sold on Rock Island Auction for well over
their assessed valuation so I'm considering placing mine on the it on the same auction soon & feel I might obtain a better price if I had it's condition assessed & appraised by a nationally recognised Appraiser of Remington Civil War era revolvers.
I would greatly appreciate referrals.
Chuck T
Below are photos of this exceptional revolver.
Attachments
IMG_E2155.JPG
IMG_E2155.JPG (770.83 KiB) Viewed 489 times
IMG_E2154.JPG
IMG_E2154.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 489 times
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 489 times
aardq

Re: Request recognized assessment/appraisal for unfired 58 Remington NMA

Post by aardq »

Hi Chuck,

If you tell us what state you live in, someone may know of a person close to you. The gun has a lot of small nicks, and areas of blue wear. The muzzle also show wear signs and slight rounding, and the cylinder has faint turn marks, and wear marks in the notches. Without having the gun in hand, I suspect a re-finish. Your best bet may be the auction house that you decide to use. They appraise every gun without charging a fee for the appraisal.

One thing you have to remember about auctions, the amount bid depends on who is bidding, and how bad they want a gun. Its common for very similar, or identical guns to sell for different amounts, at different times, just because of who is bidding.

Daniel