Remington 141's help identifying.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Z4Fred

Remington 141's help identifying.

Post by Z4Fred »

Hello. My name is Fred and I live in the Galveston TX area. I recently acquired 4 Model 141 pump rifles. 3ea .25 cal and 1ea .30 cal. None of them are stamped "gamemaster." One of the 25's is stamped "model 141" and the serial number on the left side. The other serial numbers are on the bottom.
Ser: 2771 .25 cal
Ser: C59927 .25 cal
Ser: C39873 .25 cal This has a scope that has been crudely mounted. Scope is a Kmart All Pro.....
Ser: C17056 .30 cal
I am just trying to gather info on them. I'm guessing they are all "transition" models. I've read through quite a bit of info on this site. Anyways thanks for letting me join the group and i look forward to any conversation about these rifles. They are not for sale as they have sentimental value to my wife. These were her fathers who recently passed away. I also have quite a bit of reloaded .25 ammo and some .30. He also had all of the reloading equipment for these. I have never reloaded but my son is starting to learn.

Fred
Attachments
rem5.jpg
rem5.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 740 times
rem3.jpg
rem3.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 740 times
rem1.jpg
rem1.jpg (221.98 KiB) Viewed 740 times
rem2.jpg
rem2.jpg (275.2 KiB) Viewed 740 times
rem6.jpg
rem6.jpg (659.48 KiB) Viewed 740 times
nambujim

Re: Remington 141's help identifying.

Post by nambujim »

Tom Hemphill asked me to advise that three (3) of those Model 141's are actually Model 14's. I will add that there are quite a few differences between the two models. Although I only took a brief look, all of yours have been seriously messed with.

Only the rifle marked Model 141 on the side "is" a Model 141 and an early one at that.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Z4Fred

Post by Z4Fred »

Well that makes more sense. Awesome! I'm learning about these models. They were all listed as 141 on the estate. They were his favorite rifles and were heavily used. I'm guessing he had more models since there is reloading equipment for other calibers. They do all function but could use more clean up. I did find the proof marks today. Thank you for the assistance!

Fred
Attachments
14_scope.jpg
14_scope.jpg (144.02 KiB) Viewed 726 times
14_30cal.jpg
14_30cal.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 726 times
141B.jpg
141B.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 726 times
141A.jpg
141A.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 726 times
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Fred!

The three (3) Model 14's were all made before 1917, the Model 141 is first year production like 1935 or 36.

These rifles are very "quirky" and the early Model 14's are the most "quirky" because they started making changes to the Model 14 the day after it was introduced in 1912. Yours have seen a lot of use/wear/modification which make them even more difficult to maintain & use. There are few if any gunsmiths that have ever seen one of these much less ever worked on one. Parts are only available through places like Ebay, Gunbroker, and other gun auction sites but some parts are very difficult to find when/if needed.

These are obsolete calibers, reloading for them can best be described as difficult & tedious considering the rifle design is the latest in 1910 technology. Almost anyone doing reloading today simply can't relate to a period in time when rifles were made and designed to use nothing but NEW factory ammunition. Over 90% of feed problems with these rifles is ammunition related, this model is REALLY fussy about what you try to run through it so I would caution your son to proceed slowly/carefully. Failing to follow this advice will find you with a jammed rifle nearly impossible to clear.

Its also obvious the rifles have seen little care during the past many years based on the dust deposits so without a good cleaning I would say your rifles are "iffy" at best and not something a less than knowledgeable shooter should be messing with. I started collecting/working on these when I was about 30 years old when you could still buy parts directly from Remington, still buy ammo over the counter, and now have 55 years of messing with them. Warn your son not to apply 2023 technology to these rifles AND use Round Nosed bullets only!!!!!

Basic information is this:
The .25 Remington is a rimless version of the Winchester 25-35
The .30 Remington is a rimless version of the Winchester 30-30
The .32 Remington is a rimless version of the .32 Winchester Special
The .35 Remington is a rimless stand alone cartridge that was still readily available until a few years ago. Loadings for the first three cartridges are interchangeable with their Winchester counterparts.

Of greatest importance is that the spiral magazine tube was NOT, I repeat NOT so that you could use pointed (spire point) bullets but rather just to keep the nose of one bullet off the primer of the one in front of it. Good luck with these but be very careful with them.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Z4Fred

Post by Z4Fred »

Thanks for the info! I found the serial number/date list on this site. Looks like 1913, 1915, 1918, and 1936. I'm working on getting his "bible" of 50 years of reloading records. Reloading was his side source of income in the 50's-80's. That's all he ever shot. I'm not going to really shoot a lot with these if any. I just want to get them in safe, clean, and functional condition.
I was an armorer in the Army in the late 80's and have many other weapons so I'm familiar with tube type magazine feed. I have a few others of this type. I've just never had a pump action style rifle, only lever action. This site is a wealth of information, knowledge, and history. I appreciate the responses you have given me.

Thank you
Fred
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Fred!

Yeah, being an armorer and knowing tube feed isn't the least bit helpful when it comes to these rifles................the feed system is unique to them. I guess the good news would be that if you messed up working on one, you can use the others for spare parts.

When/if you go to take one fully apart there are a "lot" of springs/plungers in places you won't expect and you can expect them to exit without you knowing it so beware.

Trying to be helpful, good luck with them!

Jim
Jim Peterson