trying to identify my rolling block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
MartyM1259

trying to identify my rolling block

Post by MartyM1259 »

Hi from South Dakota, new member
Sorry info in the wrong place the first time. ill get the site figured out.

So I purchased a Rolling Block and it is just the action and barrel, no stock of forearm. This is why in trying to ID the model so i order the right ones.
Ok, here we go.
Its a steel action, has no serial numbers or any markings on the sides other than a "S" stamp into the left side and on the rolling block.
Has the 3 line ," Remington USA, patent dates and a 1871 last # very faint.
Has the batch # 2840 on the left side upper and lower tang.
Possibly a model #5 maybe a NY or a Springfield 1871 because of info I found that when the rolling block is opened and then closed you must re-cock the hammer to fire it. Safety deal. It does not have the tall hammer i think, see pics, for the safety info. But it doesn't have the sling hole in the trigger guard either or the military right side engraving.
I'm bringing to rifle back to life and to use and shoot it in comps along with my other long range rifles in the same era. But i need to identify to order the stock and forearm. The rifle is ready to shoot and in great working order.
I'm including some pics to help.
The rifle i believe has been re barreled possibly, and currently has a 34" long (12" octagon remainder round) there are no markings on barrel but have verified it to be a 45-100 (2-6/10) i have slugged the barrel and have fitted in with a empty brass to verify this.
Thx in advance for your help and comments, greatly appreciated
Marty
Attachments
20230524_111730.jpg
20230524_111730.jpg (98.42 KiB) Viewed 485 times
20230524_111632.jpg
20230524_111632.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 485 times
20230524_111557.jpg
20230524_111557.jpg (165.29 KiB) Viewed 485 times
20230524_111522.jpg
20230524_111522.jpg (196.22 KiB) Viewed 485 times
20230524_111455.jpg
20230524_111455.jpg (183.46 KiB) Viewed 485 times
MartyM1259

Re: trying to identify my rolling block

Post by MartyM1259 »

Well after much reading in this forum, the american single shot, rolling block parts sites & several posts on them and others, i believe i have found out that the 3 line stamp on the "remington" its a post 1888 rifle based on the safety/ half cock feature, the "s" on the left side & on the rolling block w/no screw in it and comparison to three others and a conversation with a gentleman from the single shot page. I believe its a NY RB rifle, but dont know the year due to no serial number, no stock butt plate or forearm metal end #'s
So now Ill continue to find the stock and forearm. And bring the rifle back to life and shoot it along side my 1874 & 1885's. The rebarrel based on a creedmore 34" in 45-100 which ill leave and load down some BP cartridges and add the creedmore LR sights.
Guess i had to do alittle more digging myself......if anyone can add to the information it would be greatly appreciated.
MartyM1259

update. Re: trying to identify my rolling block

Post by MartyM1259 »

Well after some more internet searching and a conversation with another gentleman from another site i have determined the RB action is a New York State Militia action.
So the determinations: the half cock safety fearure, the tab on the rolling block at a right 90 degrees angle rather than on top. The missing screw on the left side of the rolling block, the finish and the "S" on the left side was part of a stamp of "SNY" you can see where some one removed part of it, not having the 3rd screw in the upper left side, the 3 line " Remington " stamp with the 3 patent dates and the last one of 1871.

NYS ordered 15,000 units in 1871 with these exclusive characteristics delivered in 72 & 73 and ordered another 4500 in 1873 most were 50-70's in std field guns with full stocks, bayonets, 80% with leather shoulder harasses and swivels and 36" barrels and carbine saddle ring guns with 2 pc stocks with and 20" barrels. The gentleman said some of the NYS militia with the carbines served in the western Indian wars at some time, per the records he had. Boy if these rifles could only talk.....
NYS retired the RB in the early 1890's, none had serial numbers.
To bad i dont have the original stock, butt plate and barrel they had lots on info stamped on them that i could have narrowed it down further almost as good as a serial number. For unit, cart# and gun number, inspector # and 2-3 state stamps in the stock.

So the search is over. Mine is a NYS action produced in 1872, 73. Now to get on with the rest and enjoy this rifle on the range.
So hopefully this will help the next person.
wlw-19958

Re: trying to identify my rolling block

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I've been away for a month doing work and haven't seen this post before.

Yes, that is a New York State model (as you have rightly surmised).
The letter "S" on the left hand side of the frame is a giveaway.

The safety locking action on these are the only ones Remington made
(the Springfield Armory made "Remington" actions with this feature
too for the military tryouts). The safety locking action was originally
specified for the military tryouts by the Army because they didn't like
that the hammer had to be at full cock in order to load the rifle. The
Springfield "trap door" rifle was usually loaded with the hammer at
half cock and then only brought to full cock when ready to fire. So,
this special "drop to a safety cock position" was devised to satisfy them.

These tests were being done when New York State was purchasing rifles
and they wanted this same feature. And Remington made these "safety
locking" actions for them (I think they were hoping the military would
select this type and Remington wanted to be in a position to supply them).

Unfortunately, the Military stayed with the "trap door" (partly because of
some congressional "shenanigans" in regards to the stipulations in the
appropriations bill that made it such that the Springfield "trap door" was
the only rifle that would qualify).

So, the rifles supplied to New York were the only ones with this safety
feature to be made by Remington.

Good Luck!
Webb