Remington 141 Dealer to Avoid

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Remington 141 Dealer to Avoid

Post by nambujim »

I think I'm posting this just to express my disgust about the pricing on Gunbroker but for newer buyers it might be helpful.

There is this Dealer in Goshen, NY who has this 62,000 serial 141 listed in .35 Remington, its in about 90% condition and hasn't been drilled. First thing you need to know is that any 141 in the 60,000 serial range is worth 10-15% less because the overall quality was suffering. When I say overall quality I'm talking about the heavy machine marks on internal parts, lack of finish/fit in many areas that eventually will cause feed problems (mainly lack of smoothing out countless sharp edges throughout the rifle). In some cases the upper/lower have to be beaten with a dead blow hammer to get them apart and the magazine plug is almost impossible to remove. All of these can shortcomings can be fixed but that is the way came out of the factory.

This dealer is probably unaware of these shortcomings but he has put a starting bid on this mediocre rifle at $2,199 plus $75 for the shipping........yikes! If this wasn't enough they don't accept C&R licenses which for me in this case was probably a bonus. For comparison I'm about to put up for sale a 93%+ low serial (one of the first 600 141's made) in .25 Remington and plan on asking $2,200. My thinking here is I should ask for more but the point I'm making is that you should avoid this dealer. Picture attached.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
pix585926486.jpg
pix585926486.jpg (197.14 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Jim Peterson
aardq

Re: Remington 141 Dealer to Avoid

Post by aardq »

Well, any person, or dealer is free to ask whatever he wants to ask. It is up to the buyer to know about the product he is looking at, and to decide if it is worth the asking price. As long as the seller describes the firearm correctly, there is no complaint.

Daniel