May not be original

MO Buffalo

May not be original

Post by MO Buffalo »

I have a model 722 in 308 Win that I bought from a friend--provinence unknown. The serial is 738666 on the receiver and the 22" barrel code is LQ R4. The walnut stock has no checkering but has inlays in the foreend, end of the pistol grip and at the butt pad, with a nice Monte Carlo cheekpiece. It seems the barrel code is Feb 1978, but production of the 722 didn't run that long (til 1962?) When might this rifle have been made, and could it have been rebarreled to 308 Win? Any idea if rebarreled what its original caliber might have been? It's taken several nice Nebraska bucks.
Thanks very much,
Tom Clark, new member
Wulfman

Re: May not be original

Post by Wulfman »

MO Buffalo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:10 pm I have a model 722 in 308 Win that I bought from a friend--provinence unknown. The serial is 738666 on the receiver and the 22" barrel code is LQ R4. The walnut stock has no checkering but has inlays in the foreend, end of the pistol grip and at the butt pad, with a nice Monte Carlo cheekpiece. It seems the barrel code is Feb 1978, but production of the 722 didn't run that long (til 1962?) When might this rifle have been made, and could it have been rebarreled to 308 Win? Any idea if rebarreled what its original caliber might have been? It's taken several nice Nebraska bucks.
Thanks very much,
Tom Clark, new member
Tom,

I think it would be a good idea if you could post some pictures (good close-ups) because what you have written makes no sense, and to me. It sounds like somebody's "Frankenstein monster". They can still do the job they were intended to do, but deciphering what they WERE originally can be a challenge.

Den
MO Buffalo

Re: May not be original

Post by MO Buffalo »

I have a couple of pics of the rifle. Perhaps that will explain what I've got.
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
Not sure I'm doing this right.
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.