Rolling Block salvage

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Rolling Block salvage

Post by marlinman93 »

This started out when a friend asked me if I was interested in an old Rolling Block project. It was an original military BP era action that had been converted somewhat to Sporting, and fitted with a BW Darr heavy #5 weight octagon barrel in .35-40 Maynard. The action was reworked to a speedlock, with lightened hammer, and shorter hammer drop. A bit of trigger work done to reduce it to about 2.5 lb. pull. The barrel was chambered, but turned out to be rough cut, and never finish reamed, so it was undersized. I bought the project, and decided the wood wasn't going to make it. Forearm was very nice, but bulbous and looked like typical varmint rifle stuff from the 50's or 60's. Buttstock was still an old military someone refinished, but ugly. No sights were ever setup for on the top tang, nor front dovetail cut.

A before image:

As I began digging into the rifle deeper and discovering it's unfinished chamber, and need for stocks, I decided an original Rolling Block Sporting Rifle pistol grip lower tang should replace the military lower tang. So I fitted the pistol grip tang, and made a new mainspring to accomodate the new lower tang shape.
I ordered a stock from CPA, and after digging through my stock spares I discovered an original Sporting forearm for the same heavy #5 octagon barrel, and mounted it on the barrel also. Once the stock arrived from CPA I found it was poorly inletted with the top tang being way too shallow, and bottom tang being twice as deep as the tang was thick! So I removed wood inside the top tang area, and cut shims and glued them into the lower tang area to shift everything downward. Then fitted the action to the stock. After fitting the action it also revealed the whole stock was 3/16"-1/4" oversized in every direction possible! A test fit of a Creedmor sized buttplate showed it was the same around that buttplate, so I began downsizing the stock using my spoke shave, rasps, files, and finally sandpaper in various grits.

After getting the stocks roughed in, and final shaped, I began applying finish. The first 8-9 coats soaked in so fast I could recoat in just minutes! The walnut seemed to be porous, and soaked up finish like a sponge! It eventually got enough finish soaked in where it slowed to twice a day, and the last couple coats took a couple days each to dry, and began to show sheen finally after about 14-16 coats were built up and wet sanded.
The forearm was chemically stripped, and being an original it only took a few coats of finish to match it to the buttstock's sheen. Luckily a little testing of various stains on the buttstock prior to finish resulted in a decent color match between the old forearm, and the new stock wood. So got lucky there.
I finished the stock enough to assemble the gun yesterday. But had to finish ream the .35-40 Maynard chamber, and polish out the new lower tang, and blue it first. Got it all together, but after it's got a week or two of cure time I'll pull the wood again, and rub it out using rottenstone powder, and then wax and buff it before reinstalling it again.
I added a stud to the barrel for a breech seating tool, and once I build the tool I'll be shooting it as a breech seater using the bullets cast from the 190 gr. Darr mold that came with it. I also cut a front sight dovetail, and D&T holes for a Soule long range tang sight, so it can be shot using iron sights, or the scope bases it came with.

Bill Allen

Re: Rolling Block salvage

Post by Bill Allen »

Very, very nice a heck of a good looking gun now, but hows it shot?
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill Allen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 am Very, very nice a heck of a good looking gun now, but hows it shot?
Yet to be determined. Since I need to make a breech seating tool for it yet, and finish turning brass so I can fire form it to fit the chamber.
Bill Allen

Post by Bill Allen »

Well I'm imppressed and I'd be willing to bet after it's done it'll be a shooter to boot. I'm a handy kinda guy but I'm always impressed by the craftsmanship I see in the process of bringing a gun back to it's prime, A lot of work but in my opinion worth every bit
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill Allen wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:47 am Well I'm imppressed and I'd be willing to bet after it's done it'll be a shooter to boot. I'm a handy kinda guy but I'm always impressed by the craftsmanship I see in the process of bringing a gun back to it's prime, A lot of work but in my opinion worth every bit
Thanks!
The value of this Rolling Block to me was most of all the Barry W Darr barrel. Barry's barrels are some of the finest modern made barrels, and he was a fan of George C. Schoyen, and copied Schoyen's rifling on his barrels. As a Schoyen fan myself, and owning four Schoyen rifles, I wanted a BW Darr barreled rifle, and finding one done on a Rolling Block was simply the cherry on top!
Bill Allen

Post by Bill Allen »

Icing maybe, winning the lottery might be more like it. Like I said I'm impressed, honestly
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill Allen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:26 am Icing maybe, winning the lottery might be more like it. Like I said I'm impressed, honestly
We have some good guns show up at our monthly collector gun show here. Last Sunday I picked up a 1873 Trapdoor that was a local gunsmith's project gun. He'd put new stock on it, and color cased the breech block, but never got past polishing out the metal. The mechanicals, and bore are like new, and appears the gun was never fired. He said it was an MGM movie gun, and exterior was pretty beat up when he got it. Price was crazy cheap, so I got it. Finished the stock, and the rust bluing, and it's a very nice gun now for under $300.