Hello from Alberta Canada

Sign the guestbook
Gettingupthere

Hello from Alberta Canada

Post by Gettingupthere »

Hello all.
Came across this site in my search for info on a rolling block that has been in our family for well over 20 yrs. when we bought it we were told it was a replica rolling block 45-70. Buffalo gun and left it at that
Interesting thing is after scouring the internet I can’t seem to find one like it
It’s stamped. Remingtons.Ilion NY USA Pat May 3 1864 .May7. Barrel is just shy of 28” and is a heavy octagon with a very long brass scope.
I’ll post some pics in the near future in hopes of someone helping me figure this really cool piece
Cheers to all.
Gettingupthere

Re: Hello from Alberta Canada

Post by Gettingupthere »

Hope pics work. If anyone recognizes any features of this piece I’d love to hear about it. Thanks all in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

Doing lots of digging and someone correct me if I’m wrong but it appears to be a classic sporter ,still can’t find nothing on the scope yet.
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

Hmmmm. Crickets chirping ? Maybe I posted in the wrong area ,could admin possibly move this post to the correct area or should I start all over again.
malsop

Post by malsop »

Good morning

Sorry for the delayed response. Remington did have a limited run of No.1 Rolling Blocks from 1997 - 2011.

Can you post more pictures of the receiver sides and bottom? Is there any barrel address that you can see?

It wouldn't hurt to post your question in the rifle section but I will do my best to help answer your question.

I included my email address if sending pictures are easier that way,

Mike Alsop
Vice President & Seminar Coordinator
Remington Society of America
malsop73@gmail.com
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

Hi. Sorry for the late response. I can find no barrel markings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello and welcome,

I'm a pistol guy, but I do know that the "Remingtons" marking was only used by E. Remington & Sons, which went bankrupt in 1886 and was taken over and re-named, Remington Arms Co. in 1888. That dates your rifle to before 1888. I see no military markings, so the rifle was a civilian sporting model. I can't say if the nose cap is original to the gun or added later, but Remington would make just about anything on special order that a person wanted to pay for.

I can't tell if the barrel is original, but it is possible that someone put a new barrel on an original RB action. Barrels in 45-70 have been made since the 1960s, and a lot of people put new barrels on original actions. I don't know what, if any barrel markings the new barrels may have. They were mainly marketed by Numerich Arms, a parts supplier, who is still in business.

I know nothing about scopes, it does look old, but how old??

Good luck on your search for more information. Hopefully one of the RB guys will jump in and ID your exact model.

Daniel
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

Thankyou Daniel.
The Info on Remingtons is new to me and very appreciated. Thank for your help.
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

The Scope is a Tasco 1903 replica so I’m guessing nothing real special there,my eyes are not as good as they used to be as I didnt really see the markings on it but my wife did.
aardq

Post by aardq »

If the scope is a modern Tasco replica, I'll bet that the barrel and wood were added to an original frame.

Shoot it and enjoy it!
Daniel
Gettingupthere

Post by Gettingupthere »

Thanks Daniel. It is a fun rifle to shoot that is for sure I’m kind of leaning towards what you’re thinking as well the very old action that was all rebuilt with barrel and wood