Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
smokinbarrel

Post by smokinbarrel »

I have just acquired a very early12ga. grade 2 1889 ser. # 3024* I've been researching in Semmer's book and find some oddities.
The rib is flat with no border and it has absolutely no name markings on it at all. The locks both are stamped Remington Arms Co. but no other name stamping. The lugs on barrels also have no numbers stamped (pellet counts) The barrels are numbered to the receiver and all appears original. The barrel flats are cut out, (the light weight version) But the water table is not relieved.
It is tight on face, all screw slots lined up and in generally fantastic condition for being 133 yrs old.
I'm curious if any others have been found that don't have the rib or lugs stamped.
No Deer

Re: 1889

Post by No Deer »

Congrats on picking up a really nice gun. I don't have an answer for you, I have two of them, one grade 2 and one grade 3, and both have all the markings you mentioned. I have looked at Semmer's book a lot, and don't recall seeing anything mentioned about the situation you have. Maybe someone will come along and have an answer for you.
smokinbarrel

Post by smokinbarrel »

There are still traces of case colors. The only screws that appear to have ever been touched are the firing pin retainers. It still has the original butt plate with screws still perfectly aligned. The stocks have never been sanded or refinished. Not a single pit in the bores. It has a few minor bumps and dents but overall it's in great shape. It must have been meticulously cleaned during the final days of black powder and never used hard.
Being it was built probably in the first month of production, I'm wondering if some stampings hadn't been finalized yet, or if a rib just slipped through un stamped. It has also occurred to me that possibly the rib or entire barrel assy. was replaced. If this is the case it was very well done a long time ago and at the factory I would think.
A mystery at any rate. It would be interesting to know if any other similar examples exist.
malsop

Post by malsop »

Some of the very early 1889 models were absent of the barrel address and other markings. Early examples of the 89's also were absent of the grade mark on the water table.
smokinbarrel

Post by smokinbarrel »

This one has the grade stamped 2 above the serial number on the center relieved portion of water table. It also has a 17 stamped sideways a little further forward of the 2
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

I have Model 1889 with serial number 3050. Also I did a article on transition double from E. Remington to Remington Arms Co. I have Model 1882 with receiver stamp grade and Remington Arms markings.
My # 330-669-2138
malsop

Post by malsop »

smokinbarrel wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 am This one has the grade stamped 2 above the serial number on the center relieved portion of water table. It also has a 17 stamped sideways a little further forward of the 2
Can you post any pictures of your water table and barrel bottom?