C stamp on the 1858 revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Lawyer095

Re: C stamp on the 1858 revolver

Post by Lawyer095 »

Good day, Daniel and thank you for your reply and good characteristic of my revolver.
After a deep search in Internet I figured out, that there are plenty 1858 Remingtons with C marks and cartouches on the grips.
Few lots I found, which are trading right now and some are located on local websites.
I don't think that in all cases grips with cartouches were replaced.
In my opinion, somehow after adjustments revolvers passed final inspection.
From what I can see the whole revolver is single and authentic piece.
But questions still remain ))
Anyway once again thank you for your attention and your opinion.

Regards.

Leo
billt

Post by billt »

Hello Leo,
Are you talking about the small “C” on the left frame above the hammer screw in picture number five?

As far as the cartouche goes, if it is RPB, Don stated that the RPB cartouche has been incorrectly identified as Robert P Berry. He goes on the say this unknown individual also inspected Rogers and Spencer revolvers at Utica New York. In the book “ U.S. Military Arms Inspector Marks” by Datum and Pate they list the RPB cartouche as belonging to Robert P Beals. Among the arms Beals inspected were Rogers and Spencer revolvers, Remington New York State rifles and Remington New Model Armies. They go on to say about the Remington Armies “In a survey of U.S. martial percussion revolvers that was done in the late 1950’s Beals’ “RPB” cartouche was noted on one high- serial- numbered revolver. (This 1950’s survey is known to contain several errors and this may be another one.”) It seems to me that Robert P Beals is a better candidate for the RPB cartouche than Robert P Berry.

Bill
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

billt wrote:Hello Leo,
Are you talking about the small “C” on the left frame above the hammer screw in picture number five?

As far as the cartouche goes, if it is RPB, Don stated that the RPB cartouche has been incorrectly identified as Robert P Berry. He goes on the say this unknown individual also inspected Rogers and Spencer revolvers at Utica New York. In the book “ U.S. Military Arms Inspector Marks” by Datum and Pate they list the RPB cartouche as belonging to Robert P Beals. Among the arms Beals inspected were Rogers and Spencer revolvers, Remington New York State rifles and Remington New Model Armies. They go on to say about the Remington Armies “In a survey of U.S. martial percussion revolvers that was done in the late 1950’s Beals’ “RPB” cartouche was noted on one high- serial- numbered revolver. (This 1950’s survey is known to contain several errors and this may be another one.”) It seems to me that Robert P Beals is a better candidate for the RPB cartouche than Robert P Berry.

Bill
Hello Bill.

Yes, I am interested in C mark on the left frame above the hammer screw.
I found a lot of sold pistols and traded right now with C mark and cartouches.
So, I really don't think that all of them were condemned and never accepted.
So, the main question for me is this C mark.

Regards.

Leo.
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

billt wrote:Hello Leo,

Bill
And thank you for the very interesting information about cartouche owner.
I am very new in this topic and got quite a lot of useful information from members of such a good website .
billt

Post by billt »

Leo,
That c mark on the left side of the frame is just anouther inspection stamp. The "C" mark Don Ware talks about in his book is much larger than an inspectors mark. Shown below is a picture from Don's book on page 27. Compare the size of the condemned "C" with the size of the 4 on the left side. The Condemned "C's" were placed under the barrel in this case or on the frame under the grips in the case of a condemned frame.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 11.51.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 11.51.09 AM.png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 583 times
Bill
Lawyer095

Post by Lawyer095 »

Good day, Bill.
That's makes sense.
Yes, of course C mark is not large and in the size of all others inspection marks on the pistol.
I read more about C mark and it's big size version.
Now every puzzle solved.
Once again thank you for the useful information and for the answer on the main question for me about this pistol.

Regards.

Leo