new 1889

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
paul harm

new 1889

Post by paul harm »

The only 89 I had I traded for a 3100. Always sorry I did a 89 with 32" barrels came up for a decent price on the internet. The was a crack repair years ago from the frame around to the back of the top tang. I knew this before I bought it. I wanted those 32" barrels. The gun came. Tight on face, pretty smooth bores, and full choke on both barrels. Good butt plate, no chips. Over all I'm quite happy. It is hard to hit those 10 to 25 yard clay pigeons.
No Deer

Re: new 1889

Post by No Deer »

Congrats on getting the '89. I have two of them and I am running out of powder for low pressure loads. What are you using for loads in yours? I had SR7625 for years, but ran out, and am currently using 800X, but that is no longer available, and I am running short on that. Looking for powder that will produce a low pressure (<6000 psi) load for 1 ounce loads in win AA shells. Any suggestions?
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I too ran out of 7625 a while back. using CB data for 1oz loads I've loaded AA hulls as follows: wad - CB 4100. primer - W209. power - 18.5 gr. International. pressure - 6700. velocity - 1190.

Also as a fallback I've loaded AAs using black powder -- fun to shoot but not so much cleanup fun. I stopped using plastic wads as they tend to melt and coat inside of barrels. Started using built up fiber wad columns. I suppose shot cups with fiber wadding might work as well.
No Deer

Post by No Deer »

I have also used black powder, in both AA hulls and brass hulls. I load them just like a muzzle loader, powder, over powder card, lubed fiber wad, shot, over shot card. They work well, but like you said, a bear to clean up after. Can only use the AA hulls a few times and then a pinhole burn through occurs.

The problem is, every smokeless powder that can be used for low pressure loads is either discontinued, or out of stock.
6pt-sika

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been loading short 10's for awhile now . My initial load was and still is the Ross Seyfried "Handloader Magazine" load using 30 grains of SR7625 and 1 1/4 ounces shot with an SP-10 and something for filler . I used to do the 16 gauge card wad in the shotcup but now I use plain old red beans I buy in the grocery store . I'll use SR7625 for awhile as I was able to get about 24 pounds of it a few years back . FWIW I've adapted this 30 grain charge load to use with buckshot as well as homecast slugs . The original load has worked quite well at skeet , trap , sporting clays , 5 stand , december dove and quite well on tower shoot pheasants and partridge . I also use the 30 grain charge with a weighed 1 1/4 ounces of Bismuth for honkers .

I've also incorporated a 10 gauge 1 1/8 ounce load using 18.6 grains of Red Dot and the SP-10 with red beans of course . Very light load and crushes targets .

I've come into loads for 1 1/4 using Unique , Universal Clays and WIN 572 that I've tried and found acceptable .

Recently I was on Hodgdon's website and ran across there 800x load . It's my intention to give that one a whirl also as I have an abundance of 800x as well .

I guess I should say when the Obamite became you guys president (I never accepted him as mine) I started buying anything I saw that would fit my parameters for any gauge 8's down to 410's as I load everything but the 24 and 32 . Anyway over the course of time I've accumulated a goodly selection and abundance for my use .

It's also a point of consideration for future 10 gauge loaders to see about wads . SP-10's are in limbo , however Pete Lester recently brought it to my attention that BPI has bought the Gualandi wad company and Claybuster will start producing for them so the PT-1044 should be available in the somewhat reasonable future as I was told .
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I've shot 10s for a number of years now. Because my shooting is limited to claybirds it's 1oz of shot with any target gunpowder. I just use 12ga mild load data. 1oz in a 1o will just smoke those ole claybirds.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

There are many low pressure 12ga target loads. I've used American Select, Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, promo, amd many others. The only trick is to keep the shot charges down to 1oz, or preferably 7/8 or 3/4oz in the 12ga. Check out the Alliant or Hodgdons web sites. Or Claybusters web site.