Rifle identification

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Post Reply
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

New here, thanks in advance for helping.

I have an older bolt action 30.06 rifle that I inherited from my dad when he passed in 2006. I know he had it at least back to the early 1980s, but probably for some years even before that.

The rifle has no manufacturer info or import info stamped on it, but there are some clues.

One thing of note is, the bolt has “Mark II” etched on it, which led me to think it might be a Ruger M77 Mark II. I reached out to Ruger and emailed them photos. They said it is not a Ruger and they believed it is a Remington. I asked what led them to believe it was Remington vs any other manufacturer, and they Image[/img] to have gone silent. At least for now.

It seems the app I’m using will only let me post one photo at a time, so I will try to include more photos as replies to the post.Image


Any help you can provide is appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Here are the other photos. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

Sixnickells wrote:New here, thanks in advance for helping.

I have an older bolt action 30.06 rifle that I inherited from my dad when he passed in 2006. I know he had it at least back to the early 1980s, but probably for some years even before that.

The rifle has no manufacturer info or import info stamped on it, but there are some clues.

One thing of note is, the bolt has “Mark II” etched on it, which led me to think it might be a Ruger M77 Mark II. I reached out to Ruger and emailed them photos. They said it is not a Ruger and they believed it is a Remington. I asked what led them to believe it was Remington vs any other manufacturer, and they Image[/img] to have gone silent. At least for now.

It seems the app I’m using will only let me post one photo at a time, so I will try to include more photos as replies to the post.Image


Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

Boy, this app is crazy. It keeps telling me my posts/replies have failed. So I resubmit and later find it is over posting. So sorry.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dieNusse1
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm
Location: Mishawaka, IN

Re: Rifle identification

Post by dieNusse1 »

It's been awhile since I've reworked one but my best guess is that it's a converted military Mauser. Several model were made ('93, '98, '09 Argentine etc) and many were made for various countries.

Remove the front scope mount and check for some sort of crest stamped on the breach. That should indicate which model it might be.
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

dieNusse1 wrote:It's been awhile since I've reworked one but my best guess is that it's a converted military Mauser. Several model were made ('93, '98, '09 Argentine etc) and many were made for various countries.

Remove the front scope mount and check for some sort of crest stamped on the breach. That should indicate which model it might be.
Interesting you said that. Remington got back to me today and said it’s not one of theirs. The Remington rep said he suspects it is a Mauser because of the bolt and safety mechanism configuration.

I’ll definitely take the scope off and check. If there’s anything there, I’ll post a photo.

I also emailed Mauser and Mauser USA earlier today as well.

My dad also had a 7.65 Argentine and I remember he had said was an old converted military rifle. It wasn’t easy for him to find ammo for as years went by. One of my brothers ended up with it after dad passed.

It’s a curios investigation and I appreciate your help. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

Or maybe it was 7.62, been a lot of years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

I took the scope off and the mounts had the numbers “45” and “46” on them. Probably a part of the scope and not the actual rifle, though.

Image


Image


Taking the mounts off revealed no further markings.

Image


Image


However, I did spot the number “23” on the bolt which I had not seen previously.

Image


Still puzzled. Mauser and Mauser USA have not responded to my inquiries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nambujim
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Rifle identification

Post by nambujim »

Although I usually only mess with Model 14/141 Remington Rifles I also happen to have a "commercial" Mauser 98 chambered for .257 Ackley Improved. One of the things I did to it years ago was install a "Dayton Traister Mark II Safety" that would allow shorter safety movement allowing for better scope clearance..............also a lot better that than the standard Mauser safety. The trigger assembly is Mauser and that is some sort of Mauser proof on it. I replaced my trigger with a Canjar countless years ago.

So I'm pretty sure you have some sort of a Mauser 98 with a Dayton Mark II Safety, my safety is marked just like yours. Hope this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

Thanks, Jim. It definitely helps and makes sense. Gives me more than I’ve got to keep digging into. Much appreciated.

Bradley Nickell


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jcj54
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by jcj54 »

What you have is a 1898 pattern Mauser type sporterized military rifle. Mauser designed it but it is anybody's guess as to who made it or sporterised it. It has a commercial barrel and the bolt handle has been modified to clear the scope. The bases are Weaver brand and the numbers are Weaver item numbers which are correct for a Mauser 98 pattern rifle. Hope this is useful.
Sixnickells
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Re: Rifle identification

Post by Sixnickells »

jcj54 wrote:What you have is a 1898 pattern Mauser type sporterized military rifle. Mauser designed it but it is anybody's guess as to who made it or sporterised it. It has a commercial barrel and the bolt handle has been modified to clear the scope. The bases are Weaver brand and the numbers are Weaver item numbers which are correct for a Mauser 98 pattern rifle. Hope this is useful.
Thanks, jcj54. Great info. As you have pointed out and I had so figured, I’m at a dead end. But you and others have given me the info I was looking for. Im thankful to have some better idea of what the rifle is beyond the action type and caliber. Much appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply