Model 141 / Buying Crap from the net

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 141 / Buying Crap from the net

Post by nambujim »

Here is a "prime" example of what uneducated buyers will pay on the internet. The seller here didn't do himself any favors by stating "their research determined this rifle was a factory "C" grade, absolutely NONE of the work was done at the factory. What they are offering is a rifle with a nice scope and a load of after market butchery. Sorry their advertising shows in the background but must add they rate the rifle a "7" on their scale of "10" but selling it "AS-IS" because it hasn't been tested or fired "but seems to function properly".......yea!

As I write this, the bidding is at $605 with a couple days left so maybe they really just want the scope.

Here is my take on this rifle/scope combination:
1) It has an extremely high serial which to my thinking makes it poor to begin with!
2) It has been buffed/re-blued.
3) It is a rifle that was cut down to 20" (not a carbine)!
4) The barrel has been drilled for the scope mount, not a good thing!!!
5) Frame drilled for the scope mount and 3 holes on the side for a receiver sight.
6) The stock has been chopped for what looks like a double stack recoil pad.
7) The checkering while isn't horrible is about a 3 on the 10 scale, factory being a 9+.
8) None of the original sights have been retained.
My final comment is if you take away the scope you have few "really" usable or dependable factory parts, maybe the action bar cover.

This is an example of what not to buy.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
pix934187977.jpg
pix934187977.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 637 times
pix190177672.jpg
pix190177672.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Re: Model 141 / Buying Crap from the net

Post by nambujim »

I wasn't going to make this post BUT its really hot outside and I don't have a lot to do. I'm attaching pictures of my "Crap Model 14 of the month" now for sale on one of the auction sites. The reason for my posting this particular gun is the "description" provided by the seller states "Metal, overall condition is good" and he is also states this rifle is "nickel plated" but I think its bare metal, nickel would have at least filled in some of the lettering.

I'm attaching two of the pictures showing the condition of the metal described as "good overall". Added this seller to my "never buy list".

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
pix805064573.jpg
pix805064573.jpg (172.21 KiB) Viewed 467 times
pix048169093.jpg
pix048169093.jpg (159.45 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Jim Peterson