Remington Lee Navy Contract Bayonet

Chet49

Remington Lee Navy Contract Bayonet

Post by Chet49 »

What socket bayonet was used for the Remington Lee Navy Second Contract Model 1879? According to Bruce Canfield's book "US Military Bolt Action Rifles" it would be "...the same sort of proprietary socket bayonet as made for Remington's rolling block military-pattern rifles." I guess my question is, did all military pattern rolling block rifles use the same size socket regardless of caliber or contract ie; Argentine, Swedish, etc?
Thank you in advance.
aardq

Re: Remington Lee Navy Contract Bayonet

Post by aardq »

Hi Chet,

From the book, "Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period," by Jerry L. Janzen, the US required that the M-1873, Trapdoor, angular bayonets be used. The 1879, 1882, and 1885 Rem-Lee rifles used this bayonet. For the 1899 Rem-Lee 6mm. rifle, a short, (210mm blade) knife blade bayonet, the M-1895 was used.

Every country that used the Rolling Block rifle specified what type bayonet they wanted, and the length of the blade. Some were the triangular, socket bayonets, some use a sabre bayonet, and some used a knife blade bayonet. Thus the answer to your question is, No, they all used different bayonets.

Dan
Chet49

Re: Remington Lee Navy Contract Bayonet

Post by Chet49 »

Thank you for the reply Dan. I appreciate your help.
Chet