Date for Rem/Hepburn #3

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Tomygun1

Date for Rem/Hepburn #3

Post by Tomygun1 »

Hello fellow Remington enthusiasts,
Question; Can anyone give me at least an approximate date of mfg. for my Number-3 Rem/Hepburn ser#3683? Sad to say I have owned this fine rifle since 1979 and still don’t know.
Also, in the past I had loaded 30-40 Krag cases in the 40-2 1/2 chamber only to find excessive headspace. I am told that recently mfgd. Jamison 40 Sharps Straight cases will fill this headspace gap but can’t find any. Anyone know where I can buy these?
Thanks,
Tom
wlw-19958

Re: Date for Rem/Hepburn #3

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Buffalo Arms has Sharps 40-70 Straight cases which
I believe will suffice for your needs.

Sharps 40-70 Straight

The other place to check "Track Of The Wolf" website
but they are out-of-stock of this cartridge at present.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Thanks,
Your tip on the 40 2/12 cases is just what I hoped for, I will order 50. Still hoping someone can shed light on just when this rifle was built. I don’t know if ser#s overlaps with other models but I am wondering if this one could be old enough to be a genuine “Buffalo Rifle” as so many claim to be.
I look forward to target printing different loads with cast bullets at long range but sad to say after owning this old gal all this time I have only printed targets off my test deck to 15yds. Still, while the cases were unsuitable there was only one hole in the target.
I look forward to any advice or knowledge out there.
Tom
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've been using .405 Win. brass to make my cases for a few Remingtons I own in .40-70SS. It needs a small trim to length, and once through the dies to work. Unfortunately it too has become very tough to find now, since Hornady decided to drop manufacture.
Jamison went out of business some time ago. For a year or so rumors said they'd reopen, but it never happened.

As for age of your gun, we'd need to know some features on it. Does it have a steel forearm tip, ebony, or no tip on the forearm? What does the exact rollstamp on the top of the barrel read?
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Thanks for your interest and response marlin1893, I collect these. To help with the mfg date of my Hepburn I took it off the wall to examine and find the ser#is actually 3615. The bbl is 30” and stamped on the underside; 40.2 1/2. Hunting grade with chekered round knob pg/ S-curved steel buttplate with rounded extension on top, uncheckered forend with steel schnabel fore tip. Only stamping on the receiver is the ser#3615 on the lower tang. Stamped on top of the bbl. in a one line address left to right is; E.REMINGTON&SONS.ILION.N.Y in forward slanting caps. I hope this can help date it.

While I didn’t try the spendy 405W cases as you did I had some success using 444Marlin cases when they were cheap but the base 1/2” or so must be turned down to fit the chamber. My problem has been the rim thickness on my attempts to shoot it and were much too thin so the headspace was too great. I ordered the Jaimison cases recommended above from Buffalo Arms as the rim is .072 for the original. Not cheap @ $1.37 ea in bulk but necessary.

Lots of shiny lands and grooves in the bore so I expect good things at the range. Any favorite loads you are using would be of great interest.

Thanks,
Tom
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Back when I began using the .405 Hornady brass it was pretty cheap, and easy to find. I bought a fair amount to feed my Hepburn and a Rolling Block in .40-70SS. But I also own four Ballard rifles in .40-70 Ballard which is almost identical to the .40-2 1/2 Rem. So I have a lot of guns to feed that all use the same base brass. I wish I'd gotten a lot more of it, but had no idea Hornady would suddenly stop.
I have a bunch of 9.3x74R brass I use to make .40-85 Ballard cases, and it works also, but requires a lot of length trimmed off, and then the necks turned to thin them. So hate to even use it.
The E Remington & Sons address ended around 1886-87 when Remington declared bankruptcy, so your gun pre dates that. The steel forearm tip was deleted about that same time. And since the Hepburns hit the market in 1880, your serial number would likely put your Hepburn somewhere towards the latter half of the 1880-1886-87 date. So probably around 1884 would be a best guess.
aardq

Post by aardq »

There are several 40-70 cartridges, and I found no info for a 40-2 1/2 Rem. Marlin man says that it's like the 40-70 Ballard, which is a straight wall case. Does your rifle use a straight wall case? Just curious.

Thanks,
Dan
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

aardq wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 pm There are several 40-70 cartridges, and I found no info for a 40-2 1/2 Rem. Marlin man says that it's like the 40-70 Ballard, which is a straight wall case. Does your rifle use a straight wall case? Just curious.

Thanks,
Dan
The .40-2.5 is the .40-70 Sharps Straight. It is not a .40-2.5 Rem. cartridge. It is listed as 2.50" long, .535" rim diameter, .453" base diameter, and .420" neck OD. The Ballard .40-63 Everlasting/.40-70 Ballard is 2.38" long, but similar dimensions. Both are tapered straight wall cases.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Thanks for the info. I might even understand more now than before! :D
Daniel