Deluxe Remingtons

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Tomygun1

Deluxe Remingtons

Post by Tomygun1 »

Hoping the photo comes through here is my question; I bought this stock with the rifle attached. I haven’t seen cheeks like this on a M-14 before, what do I have? While my guess is that it is done by a stock smith knowledgeable people say it’s factory. More on request.
Thanks, Tom
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4086 times
nambujim

Re: Deluxe Remingtons

Post by nambujim »

The stock is NOT factory and I'm a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes
to the Model 14.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Thanks Jim,
I’m of the same opinion. Based on the 3” drop I’m guessing it was done pre war by a talented stocksmith. The walnut is very dense and heavy tiger tail making a nice 35cal shooting iron. It would be fun to learn who created this.
Tom
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Still trying to understand just what This Remington M-14 is and have attached two more photos of the stock. The standard opinion is that it is after market. The rifle is from 1927 and when I received it everything looked that old before applying TLC. I would sure like to hear from someone that has seen a stock like this before. It seems to be something that was sneaked out of the plant, or something created by a craftsman that knew what he was doing as all inletting and the rest is perfect.
I don’t care what it turns out to be, it is just a nice addition to my collection and would like to document it for posterity. Obviously in the past this rifle was very important to someone..
Thanks,
Tom
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 3894 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3894 times
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

Tom,
It's a very nice piece of wood. Are there any markings on the Butt plate or Grip cap?
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

No, not a mark. The only mark on the wood anywhere is the number 35 on the inner tip of the forend that I assume refers to the cal. The buttplate is one I have seen on other Remingtons but is unmarked, same with the grip cap.
I removed the buttplate from another M-14 from the same year and did find a very small letter o stamped. Otherwise they looked the same.
hburney

Post by hburney »

Scroll down this forum to the thread I posted titled 760 deluxe. The stocks are almost identical, Shape, quality of wood , Checkering pattern, ect. I have had several knowledgeable opinions as to the origin of this wood upgrade and they are split as to factory upgrade or independent craftsman copying the factory custom shop checkering patterns. We now know that these are not a one off occurrence and there are probably more out there. The mystery deepens!
umcpumpgun

Post by umcpumpgun »

Nice wood with very nice figure and appears to be well done,however Remington never made any that looked anything like this. I have “C” “D” and “F” grade wood on model 12-14 - 141 - 25’s all with factory wood. Also Remington would send a nice buttstock with a plane forearm.
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Hank, I looked at the pics of your 760 and must say they are done the same at the cheeks and checkered wrists. Yours seems to have the correct grip cap/bp as well. I would say a strong case exists that it was factory done when it was returned to Remington. Not so much with mine as neither the grip cap or buttplate are marked.
umcpumpgun, thanks for your input, you have some very envious deluxe rifles and it would be a treat to many of us if you would post a few photos.
Also, check out deluxe M-8 Remingtons that Steve Barnett (I think) has listed on Guns International. Rare and beautiful. I tried to buy the grade C and it was already gone.
Tom
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Just a thought, you need to remove the stock from the frame, if its factory the serial would be stamped on the narrow wood surface where it meets the lower receiver (lower frame). I just purchased a rifle for parts that has a lovely custom stock on it but I'm sure it isn't factory, will try to attach a picture.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Attachments
pix071895258.jpg
pix071895258.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Jim Peterson
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Thanks Jim,
Yours, like mine, is a custom stock and thanks for the photo. I disassembled the whole rifle after I got it and cleaned everything and found nothing stamped on the stock, but it is sure to be one of my favorites to shoot. 35cal loaded with cast/jacketed bullets @ around 1600fps is way funner than shooting 22 rimfire.
Deluxe Remington pump rifles are rare and interesting and I hope you will join me in encouraging others to post pics of what they have for the benefit of all.
Tom
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I don't recommend cast bullets, they will shave off little slivers in the feed system, AND you will have problems internally. It doesn't take much to mess up the loading system of these rifles.................don't get cute, you must think 1912 not 2020. I might also mention that modified Model 14's are far
more common than you think, it was the trend back in the late 40's and all
through the 50's.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Tomygun1

Post by Tomygun1 »

Thanks Jim,
And right you are about shaving off lead using pistol bullets, I should have mentioned the importance of using gas checks and seating depth and I learned this the hard way. Attention to bore cleaning is crucial after using alloy bullets in rifles without gas checks.
Much of the pleasure I gain from shooting the oldtimers is with cast bullets.
The old big bores were all non jacketed bullets and I have learned that the same principles apply to the M-14 Remingtons, and while I have yet to try the 25 cal (in Rem) the other cals. will hit pop cans to 150yds.
Long ago I wandered to fun loads in all cals for use in the field or range when hitting power was not important.
A great example of a fun load on the upside would be 25-20, 90gr gas check hard cast and alox/beeswax lubed bullet @1900fps, a huge velocity improvement over factory specs. In a great bore from a Rem M-25, Marlin 1894, or Winchester 1892 accuracy is great with little to no leading.
Recently I had similar success with reduced weight hard cast loads from a semi auto Rem M-8.
Not to get sidetracked on loads that make these oldies more shootable, I would like to learn more of your experience with these old deluxe Remington pump rifles that are so interesting. While I go way back (old guy) with other brands there is so much I want to learn about Deluxe Remingtons. What books would you recommend? Any pics of your favorite?
Thanks,
Tom