Snap caps for 35 Remington?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Jim585

Snap caps for 35 Remington?

Post by Jim585 »

Unable to find Snap Caps for 35 Remington, I stumbled upon this Gunbroker post:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853250122
Seems like I could make a few of these, but wondering:
1- what rubber would fit snugly in the primer pocket & how long would this rubber last?
2- should a bit of sand be loaded to simulate gunpowder weight?
3- would it be possible to stain these snap caps red, similar to other commercial snap caps?
Thanks, Jim
aardq

Re: Snap caps for 35 Remington?

Post by aardq »

Hi Jim,

Are you looking for dummy rounds, or for dry firing rounds? Dummy rounds are easy. Drill a small hole in the side of the case, dump the powder, and squirt WD through the hole and into the primer to kill it. Check it by firing the gun to ensue the primer is dead. If you reload, just leave the fired primer in the case, resize the case, and seat a bullet into the case. Then stain or paint it. There are products for staining or darkening brass. You can also by some model paint and rub it into the head stamp. You should be able to by rubber at a hardware store, then cut it to fit into the primer pocket and glue it with epoxy.

Good luck,
Dan
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

My way of making snap caps is both cheap and quick.
I take a fired case, decap it and fill the primer hole with either epoxy resin and with a hot glue gun.

Wait for the resin to set/ glue to cool and you have a snap cap. Foe rifles that I wish to action a magazine I fit a bullet. For rifle that I just want top dry fire, I don't.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Sanforth,

I like the idea of the epoxy resin, but will it have enough resistance to prevent firing pin damage? I don't know. Maybe an expert will jump in and let us know. A hard rubber plug made from hardware stock does offer enough resistance, and only requires one additional step.

Dan
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

I have used both Epoxy resin and hot glue for making snap caps for .303 Lee Enfield rifles to practice for McQueen competitions with no ill effects. For the McQueen competitions I have to cycle 10 round magazines very quickly.
Jim585

Post by Jim585 »

Thank you both for your helpful comments. Much appreciated. -Jim