Smoot Parts

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
USNA85

Smoot Parts

Post by USNA85 »

Hello all! I am new to the Remington handgun world and have been reading a lot of the posts here - seems like there is a great deal of knowledge and a willingness to share/help each other. I truly appreciate those who willingly share knowledge that was gained through experience!!

I have recently purchased a Smoot #2 that has a broken mainspring, broken trigger return spring, and is missing the ejector rod and ejector rod spring. Does anyone know where I could find these parts or if parts from other models might fit???

Mine appears to be a blued version and the serial number is either 688 or 889!!

Thank you, in advance!
USNA85

Re: Smoot Parts

Post by USNA85 »

Bueller.... Bueller...???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

Anyone???
USNA85

Post by USNA85 »

Can anyone help me with this issue? It seems that this is a very knowledgeable community...
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello USN,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Smoot parts are hard to find. Most collectors will use a gun like yours as a parts gun and use it for the parts they need. If you gun is a blued one, the real problem you'll have is the ejector rod. There are very few blue Smoots and to get a blued ejector rod you may have to get one made. The springs will probably have to come from a parts gun. You can look on Gun Broker or go to the gun shows.
Good luck,
Dan
USNA85

Post by USNA85 »

Thank you, Dan!

I was thinking about buying a plated one and removing the plating. What are your thoughts on that idea???
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi USN,

Buying a plated gun and have the needed parts blued would cost money, and the re-blue wouldn't match the rest of the gun. No improvement in value. You'd be better off getting the parts stripped and leave them at that, at least the gun would be complete. Still no improvement in value, just complete. I'd just hang on to it in the hope of eventually finding what you need.

Good luck,
Dan
llyc

Post by llyc »

Good Morning
I have several ejector springs for your #2 smoot if you still need one.