Could anyone tell me ?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
admin
Site Admin

Re: Could anyone tell me ?

Post by admin »

I think the problem is we can speculate but no-one really knows what happen for sure.
It's pretty darn clear that when they made parts for a gun they NEVER wasted them even steel was valuable back then. They made a whole bunch of parts and "finished" whatever the resources they had and whatever they could make money on. There was no assembly lines and the best was possibly a log book and whatever whoever was in charge thought at the time. There's other companies that followed this sort of thing also so what the reasoning was back that escapes me.

On clear example of this, one I THINK I know well is if you look at the ZigZag / Elliot history.
ZigZag's were hard / expensive to make, they figured on a better design almost immediately so they moved on to the new 5 barrel Elliot but had a whole lot of parts left for the ZigZag. I believe what they did as resources where available they continued to make the ZigZag and they trickled out for at least 10 years, long enough for Nickel to even show up (at Remington as well) I'm guessing in the very early 1870's. Also there was a push for larger and larger calibers so the 4 barrel 32 wasn't far behind and with a larger frame. You won't find this in maybe any book (I think) There are two frames of the 4 barrel Elliot best I can tell from just watching serials for many years is somewhere around 18,000 they made lower frame (actually more like the 22) why else to save material??

If I'm full of it or need correcting, I welcome feedback.

David
timmer

Post by timmer »

I am looking for original grips for a model 95 dd.Any help greatly appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

timmer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 am I am looking for original grips for a model 95 dd.Any help greatly appreciated.
I know I have (or pretty confident) I have a pair of wood in one of the safes.
aardq

Post by aardq »

The model 95s were made 1922 and later. Before the model number they were just Double Derringers. The early DDs had wood grips, and during production of the "two line" guns the hard rubber grips became the standard. Offhand I don't find the name of any dealers that have the rubber grips. The rubber grips often show up at gun shows, especially the antique arms shows.

Good luck in your search.
Dan