1899 remington lee sporting rifle ????

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
savagebrother

1899 remington lee sporting rifle ????

Post by savagebrother »

hey guys picked up a Remington lee bolt action and they thought it was a 30-40 krag caliber.
well it's not it's 30-30 caliber.
serial number is 75996, it has no caliber markings on it anywhere barrel is a little over 23 inches.
bore seems good but man i have never seen so much copper fowling!!!
maybe its some special copper lining ?? LOL!!!!!
SB
marlinman93

Re: 1899 remington lee sporting rifle ????

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks pretty decent to me! And the caliber is a great one for the Lee! Probably shoots good, even with copper fouling.
savagebrother

Post by savagebrother »

i hope so i think the hornady 140gr GMX bullets would be a great match up with this rifle if its
accurate.
what scope base would work on this rifle, weaver side mount???? i cant hunt with it without a scope.
SB
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure what scope mount might work? Of course it will require adding holes, and the side mount seems a must with the action style. But which side mount? Have to take a chance on finding a used Weaver that's for a bolt action, and hope it can be adapted to your gun without having to also remove some wood on the left side to get enough clearance to adapt and mount it on the receiver.
The real question is how much do you like the gun, and how much are you willing to modify it to hunt with it? I personally would hesitate to modify it at all. Not many have survived unchanged, so I'd hunt with something else and leave it original. But it's not my gun.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Even though it has been around the block several times, I surely would NOT put a scope on it - at least one that required extra holes. Guns of that vintage RARELY used scopes, and once you've messed up the receiver, you (or a future owner) could never go back. Yes, it's YOUR gun, I get that. What about silver-soldering a block to the barrel that could mount a pistol scope? Just my thought.
savagebrother

Post by savagebrother »

hey guys your right im looking for a scout scope that fits the rear sight mortice.
i have one on my trapdoor springfield 1884 sporting rifle.
SB
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

What does the "mortise" for the rear barrel sight look like?
If it's a couple tapped holes you could get a piece of blank Weaver rail and drill and countersink holes to match those in the barrel. Then mount a scout scope and not affect the originality.
If it's some other mortise, then I'd need to see what it looks like to get an idea what might work.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Why not see if you can get a 'Non Gun smithing scope mount' for your rifle. I have one on a military Lee Enfield and it is fine. It never loses it's zero even if I drop it.
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Actually that is a nice rifle with tons of history. My thought is that it should be cleaned up and shot only for the local classic rifle shooters matches and not too often. It has done a fine job thru the years and should be proudly displayed. If you need to have a hunter then you can find something that is not so rare. You can put togather an old mauser barreled action and parts for just a hundred $$ and old scopes are $40 or even less.
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

That's an interesting rifle - factory sporter stock and probaBLY the original sporting rifle caliber. The Lee is a very strong action - the bolt head on mine was nickel steel and not one but two safety lugs. The biggest drawback is the half-cock safety on the striker. You have to cock it before you can shoulder it, during which time the animal you just jumped is making tracks. OTOH I really l;ike the detachable magazine, you can take it out and hide it from curious children

Nice shooter, though.

jn