Model 1100 - Revision with pictures of disassembly

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Virginian

Re: Model 1100 - Revision with pictures of disassembly

Post by Virginian »

I hate to nit pick, but the 1100 was introduced in 1963, not 1965. I know, because I got one in 1963, and another one in January 1964. And, those two, as well as a '66, have metal 'V' gas seal rings, not 'O' rings.
An Outstanding article on the disassembly of an 1100 or 11-87. My compliments.
I read this again - about the 5th time -, and I have to point out that a lot of the comments are rife with misinformation. "The Magnum receiver is 1/4" longer" (it isn't), "the older guns are far superior" (almost no differences other than cosmetic), "the bolt buffer is a black plastic disc" (they have been both black and white), "the forend support on the older 1100s™ was a flat piece of milled steel that never breaks" (the early ones were two piece spot welded and welds did on occasion fail), "If the mag tube falls off, scrap the receiver!" (they can be rather easily repaired), etc. Also, the opinions expressed on barrels I would challenge. I have been shooting these since 1963, and my newest Light Contour barrel shoots as good as any I have ever had. No doubt in well over 3 million they have made a few that weren't so great, but I think such a blanket statement is over the top.
Relative to the disassembly and cleaning, the article is still very good.
Last edited by Virginian on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
What could have happened... did.
ianosis

Post by ianosis »

Awsome information, do you have the same info for the Model 11, or Browning A-5. Or can you give me a hint on where to look. Thanks.
remington.001

Post by remington.001 »

This may have been filed in 2002, but as a recent purchaser of this firearm in June 2013, this information is invaluable. Administrators of RSA - thank you for keeping this post available.
Haddon

Post by Haddon »

Is this information still relevant with all the changes since then?