NEWBY NEEDS ASSISTANCE

Sign the guestbook
CAPTAIN-CANUCK

NEWBY NEEDS ASSISTANCE

Post by CAPTAIN-CANUCK »

Thanks to David for allowing me to join your group. I'm researching a Remington 45-70 for a friend. I've attached a couple of pics in hope someone can help me ID what it is. It's stamped on the receiver behind the hammer REMINGTON ARMS - UNION METALLIC CTG CO PATD OCT 22, 1901. I see no visible serial number and as can be seen it has a round, blued 26" barrel. Be happy to provide any other pics if required. Thanks in advance. JD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wulfman

Re: NEWBY NEEDS ASSISTANCE

Post by Wulfman »

CAPTAIN-CANUCK wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm Thanks to David for allowing me to join your group. I'm researching a Remington 45-70 for a friend. I've attached a couple of pics in hope someone can help me ID what it is. It's stamped on the receiver behind the hammer REMINGTON ARMS - UNION METALLIC CTG CO PATD OCT 22, 1901. I see no visible serial number and as can be seen it has a round, blued 26" barrel. Be happy to provide any other pics if required. Thanks in advance. JD
I'm going to take a guess at this............
Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, there were a few places where folks could buy Remington No. 1 (large) actions to build sporterized rifles. Some places offered kits with barrels (some octagon) and usually chambered for the .45-70 cartridges. The going price for the actions at that time was about $20.00.
It's my opinion that this may be one of those. It's just that whoever built it decided to use a different barrel or reshaped something they had and fitted it with different sights.

Den

aardq

Re: NEWBY NEEDS ASSISTANCE

Post by aardq »

Have to agree with wolfman that the only thing Remington this gun is the action. Most of the kits had octagon bbls, but there are bbl makers that have round bbls for the rolling block action.

Check for serial numbers under the wood on the tangs. Have fun and enjoy it.
Dan