New to forum but longtime Remington owner,newest one a Model 17

Sign the guestbook
Sarge756

New to forum but longtime Remington owner,newest one a Model 17

Post by Sarge756 »

Hello to all and thanks David for assisting with the forbidden email issue for registration. New here but have owned many Remingtons.Have a particular weakness for Model 8`s and 81`s and have been on the Great8 forum for several years with same username. Latest Remington added to collection is a Model 17.My interest in acquiring one was the growing collection of Ithaca 37`s. One of the 37`s is a 12 ga 28inch modified with serial # 296.Doing the research I found this to be a first year if not first month production. Had seen a few 17`s through the years but had never owned one.Traded with a friend for one in pretty good shape 28inch full choked. Have seen some sources that said approximately 73,000 were produced 1921/1933. Another source stated 72,497 were made. Will have to disagree with that one.The one I just traded for is # 72,687. Would be interested if anyone has or knows of one with a higher #. Same token if anyone is aware of a lower numbered Ithaca 37. Looking forward to being part of the forum and making a contribution when I can.
Joe
AZMike

Re: New to forum but longtime Remington owner,newest one a Model 17

Post by AZMike »

No help here as I have Model 17 #63395 --a restored rescue, It's a 30" full choked dove shooting machine!
Jack71

Post by Jack71 »

Do we know that the serial numbers for the Model 17 started at 1? Some guns start numbers at higher numbers.

Joe, have you established when your gun was made? I think the only way I know to do this is to check the date code on the barrel. I have a Model 17, serial #544xx, made in August 1928 (barrel code WW).
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jack, My understanding is that the serial numbers for the 17 started with '1'. Mine has barrel code "PB" so with the serial # stamped on the barrel and receiver can be fairly certain it was produced in June of 1933. This would put it close to the end of the production run. I didn`t have to search long to find someone with a higher #.Found a post from 2012 on Shotgun World with photos of a 17 with serial # 73,177. I suspect knowing when these last ones actually left Remington and found an owner might never be known. Remington sold them until 1941 and they could have been put togethers from parts stock until that ran out. Regardless I`m happy to have it and knowing it ain`t the last one won`t have a problem restoring it to its former glory. Put a couple boxes of shells through it today and man does that full choke powder the clays. Thanks for your response.
Joe
Jack71

Post by Jack71 »

Joe, sounds like you've done a good job of researching the Model 17 and clearly you have one of the last ones made. It is an excellent design, but for some reason Remington limited its production to 20 gauge. During the 1930s they phased it out in favor of the Model 31, another fine pump gun that was made in 12, 16 and 20 gauges.

As you mentioned, after the patent expired Ithaca copied the design with their popular Model 37.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Funny I should log onto here tonight and see this. I only check in about 1-2 times a month. AND I saw a Rem Mdl 17 at the LGS today. 16 ga 4 digit iirc. It was real cheap, as the bbl has a lot of exterior pitting/blemishes. Can't remember if it was a fixed choke or had the poly style (I looked at a bunch). Price was almost right based on condition, but bet I could get it right. Anything I need to look for/know about the Mdl 17? (I know early Win Mdl 12 16s have the short chamber - and I have one of those. Also have a 16 reloader, so ammo is not an issue.) Thanx

PS - I know why I passed on it! It had an incorrect stock (in addition to the pitting) that had been VERY poorly fit...
Jack71

Post by Jack71 »

Oscar, if it was a 16 gauge it couldn't have been a Model 17. The Remington Model 17 was only made in 20 gauge. They all had 2 3/4" chambers.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Jack71 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 am Oscar, if it was a 16 gauge it couldn't have been a Model 17. The Remington Model 17 was only made in 20 gauge. They all had 2 3/4" chambers.
Jack - Yeah, you are correct. Sure I mixed apples and oranges! I KNOW I saw a Mdl 17, and mostly look at 16 ga's, so prob how I mixed it up.